Foot-wells for the RV-4

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 4.
Wicked Stick
Class B

Foot-wells for the RV-4

Post by Wicked Stick »

I just thought I'd post some comments on the installation and use of our newly installed recessed foot-wells for our RV-4.

During this past months condition inspection, we removed the floor panel just behind the spar (where the pilot sits) so we could measure, cut, rivet and install a set of foot wells similar to those that the RV-8 uses for the rear seat passenger. The total time to measure, fabricate and install them was about 4 hours total. In my case we simply bought and modified a pair of RV-8 foot well parts (3 pieces each side) to make them fit the 4.

Having now flown the RV-4 both ways, I can tell you without a doubt, that every RV-4 should have these. No longer are the passengers feet rubbing up against the pilots thighs/legs. It's also beneficial to the rear seat passenger/pilot, as it is more comfortable due to an improved leg/foot position that is more naturally ergonomic.

In short, I'd highly recommend spending the time/money to do this mod.
Just be carefull to make sure they are positioned so as NOT to hit the aileron push/pull tubes when you install them.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I've been meaning to do this for 3 years now. I think I have to just buckle down and do it. My only worry would be making the footwells miss the aileron pushrod. Do you have any rough measurements? Photos? Crayon diagrams? :)
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

rvator51
Class G

Post by rvator51 »

svanarts wrote:I've been meaning to do this for 3 years now. I think I have to just buckle down and do it. My only worry would be making the footwells miss the aileron pushrod. Do you have any rough measurements? Photos? Crayon diagrams? :)
Hi Scott,
Some people have removed the floor completely where the footwells would go, then build a cover over the aileron pushrods. This gives the passengers feet even more room. Both my wifes and my RV-4 are this way. We use the extra space behind the passengers feet to store stuff. Doesnt seem to hurt having the floor removed completely and the extra space sure comes in handy. Some people have put reinforcements on the bottom skin to beef it up just in case.

Regards,
Tom Velvick
N53KT RV-4
N7053L RV-4

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Scott,
Here's the only picture I took before the battery in my digital camera ran low and I had to bring it home to charge.

What we did was to cleco together the RV-8 footwell pieces and then position it over the removed floor area to check and see what would be a good "fore/aft" position so that it had at least a 1/2" clearance from the aileron pushrod when it was moved to its highest position. In our case (and yours may vary depending on where the builder placed the platenuts) the 2nd hole in the existing 3/4X3/4 angle on the sidewall lined up nicely to the very first front hole in the pre-punched foot well. (where the black cleco is)

In the picture you can get a rough idea of how far back from the spar the footwell needs to be. ALSO, keep in mind that once we did this, the RV-8 footwell is now too long in the back, so we had to shorten it by cutting the back of the center section piece and re-bend a rear tab. We also had to trim the side (triangular shaped) pieces and re-drill the aft holes.

It sounds complicated, but in reality it isn't that bad, and again, it's well worth it.

I'm not sure I like the other suggestion to remove the floor area and have your heels on the outer floor skin. If there happens to be any antennas or wiring in that area this type of mod may not work well.
Dave "WS" Rogers
N173DR

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Pictures are worth a thousand words! Thanks, that actually does help a lot. I was going to make the footwells from scratch but the -8 parts look like they turned out so well I think I'll do that as well.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Scott,

Glad to help.. If I have a chance next weekend, I can take a measurement of the footwell dimensions in their final cut down size.

While they are smaller than the 8's original size, the Capt'n found them comfy for his trip with me to N.Y. :)
Dave "WS" Rogers
N173DR

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Anything that will put the passenger's foot into a more normal position will be comfortable. My wife complains about her ankles hurting after about 30 min.

After the foot wells are done I need to figure out where to mount a cup holder. :-)
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD