Suggestion for RV-4 builders

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 4.
svanarts
Air Marshall

Suggestion for RV-4 builders

Post by svanarts »

Hello RV-4'ers. I just wanted to make a suggestion when building your wings. The reinforced area of the left wing where you step is relatively narrow. If I had it to do over again, I'd order a few extra ribs and double the size of the walkable area on the left wing. I say this because I've just had to repair the top wing skin on my RV-4 which started developing cracks along the rear spar rivet line.

What I did to repair it was to drill out all the rivets out to just past the 5th rib from the inboard end of the wing, I made a new wing skin and made a doubler plate that went under the top skin all the way to the 5th rib. I used the old skin to transfer the holes. Between the 4th and 5th ribs I added to stiffeners riveted through both the top skin and doubler. I then riveted back what I could, most of the rivets ended up being Cherry Max rivets because I just wasn't willing to remove the wing plus the ribs are set up in such a way so that you really have to rivet from inboard to outboard. At least, on my wing they are. :)

So, that's my suggestion. Either that or make sure your passengers know where to step. No matter what I said they always seemed to miss. :bang: I wish I knew this when I was building.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD