Montana RV-4

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 4.
hydroguy2
Class B

Montana RV-4

Post by hydroguy2 »

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, my Friend, Mike, got a RV-4 project from his longtime friend's estate(Rick B). Below is a pic when I helped move the project to Mike's shop.

Due to life, It has been on the back burner since. Rick was an A&P, IA and did excellent metal work. Kit #128 is a typical old school build, using some recycled parts and "this is how I want it" techniques. BUT there is no documentation. Mike has been pouring over the current RV-4 drawings he got from Vans and trying to make heads/tails of it all. Mike is started down the path of become a Rivetbanger and RV owner. For some reason, He feels that I might be able to help steer this ship on it's journey to completion.
After a week of prep, we had a little work session last night. In 4 hrs , we had shoehorned the wings into position and generated a page long list of order items along with 2 "ToDo" lists.

His hope is we will have the wing work complete and ready for paint by end of January. Wish us Luck!
Brian
Townsend, MT

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Montana RV-4

Post by Spike »

Very Very cool dude.

Spike

Submitted via email

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Looks like a fun project!!
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

That's awesome Brian! Looks like a great project to finish up and get flying this year!

8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

No pictures, but weekly update is:

Mike drilled out the pop riveted wing tips and started installing nutplates. good thing too, as he found some screws holding the nav lights on with nuts vs nutplates....and no way to service them if they failed. Mike also has entered the world of Aircraft Spruce on speed dial. Mike is also working on interior wiring runs to the tail area.

I made the forward wing attach brackets, then went up there tonight. We fitted the aileron push/pull tubes and riveted the ends on. When we tried to fit the flaps, we found they hit the fuse and need notches cut. Also need materials to fab the flap handle pieces and connecting rods. wings should be done in a week or 2.
Brian
Townsend, MT

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

Looks great! Nice shop too.
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

My friend Mike has put his RV project on hold for the time being. He has steeped up to help raise 2 young boys(7&9) that have no father figure in their life. Turns out kids need positive role models and Mike is going to be a good one. The RV can wait.

We did make some progress last spring. Wings were completed and painted, root fairings built, and new style tail spring installed. Mike also ripped out the old school hodgepodge panel and is planing a Skyview install.
Brian
Townsend, MT