Pre- fabricated Spar

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 4.
Andy

Pre- fabricated Spar

Post by Andy »

Hi,

I know this a new site but thought I would give it a try.
I've just ordered my wing kit but didn't take the Pre-fabricated spar.
Has anyone built one from components?
Or is the consensus to go the Pre-fabricated route?
I'm trying to get it added to my kit but fear I may be too late :?

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Building the spar ....

Post by Spike »

I have a friend that is building an RV-6A and does not have the prefabricated spar. I helped him a bit with his and got talking to him about it. It seems that building the spar isnt that diffucult, its just a bit time consuming. That seems to be the big attraction to getting the spar pre-assembled. People are saving more time than heartache. Driving those big rivets takes a while :)

-- John

building spar

Post by Guest »

i have been flying my rv4 for 5 yrs ibuilt my own spar its easy to build and you save a few bucks

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Van says the pre-fab saves approximately 40 hours.

:| CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Jerry

RV4 wing spar

Post by Jerry »

I wish that I had riveted it myself. When I built my RV4 I ordered the spar built. Big rivets need a big hammer. Just use a jig to hold the sets and use litteraly a big hammer. If you do it yourself you will learn a new skill! That is fun!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Re: Pre- fabricated Spar

Post by svanarts »

Andy wrote:I'm trying to get it added to my kit but fear I may be too late :?
You should be able to send all the parts to Phlogiston or whoever does the preassembled spars for Van's. That would probably cost more than ordering it from Van's. I'd say if you can, get them to change it but if not don't sweat it. You'll do fine.

arffguy
Class E

spar

Post by arffguy »

I didn't want to have to prepare (polish and clean-the worst part to me) for priming all those pieces and then worry about driving the fat rivets. It was an easy decision for me. However the guys who built their own have a skill that I don't, I guess. Do you have more time or more money or do you want the pride of doing it yourself?

poeboy
Class G

Spar building

Post by poeboy »

Andy - I'm the friend Spike helped build his own spar. As everyone else here said, it's not hard and I'd concur with the 40 hour estimate of building time (for each spar). You need an Avery (or other) C-frame tool and a hefty (3-4 lb) hammer to drive the big rivets, but it's not hard. You'll also need a couple of friends to help hold things while riveting.

HTH,
-dpp
David Poe
RV6A builder/wings

seed844
Class G

Product

Post by seed844 »

I didn't want to have to prepare (polish and clean-the worst part to me) for priming all those pieces and then worry about driving the fat rivets. It was an easy decision for me. However the guys who built their own have a skill that I don't, I guess. Do you have more time or more money or do you want the pride of doing it yourself?
Brilliant stuff whats it called? ^

svanarts
Air Marshall

Pre- fabricated Spar

Post by svanarts »

I think he’s referring to the Phlogiston spar which is pre-made.
�

Quote:

Brilliant stuff whats it called? ^

rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/cgi-php/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5576#5576

Submitted via email

jan

spars

Post by jan »

vans offering the big rivet squeezer for i think 20$ ,and you can keep it for weeks ,besides the spars done from phol.... cost 1180$ + the wing kit decide what is cheaper ,i dont see any point spend that muchh money for reason be faster in air if some from as build quick build kits 4 and more years good luck to you