Drilling out 202 PERFECTLY SET AN426's!

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
N200PF
Class D

Drilling out 202 PERFECTLY SET AN426's!

Post by N200PF »

WOOHOO!

I'm taking a break and thought I would share what I'm working on tonight...

EVIDENTLY... the stiffeners on the left side of my rudder are touching the spar and causing the skin to "oil can" as the FAA DAR called it. (pop in and out around the stiffener ever so slightly) After he said this I remember that I cut those stiffeners a bit long a noticed it but didn't tink it would be an issue. So, when I made the right side stiffeners it was right to spec and thus the right side of the rudder is flat and solid.

I know...I'm an IDIOT! Why didn't I take the time to fix that!?!

- Peter

PS - I brought it to the FAA DAR because I knew something wasn't right on the left side. (he is close by, a SUPER NICE GUY and loves to help fellow RVer's)

PSS - Yes I counted and there are 202 rivets to take out and put back in.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Peter Fruehling
RV-7 Wings -> QB Fuse in the shop!
North Oaks, MN -> Home Base (KMIC)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well,

That SUCKS!

I can't exactly envision how or why this would cause oil canning based on the stiffeners being too long and contacting the spar, but you are right. There should be no interference there.

I just called Chad and told him that now I know how everyone else feels when something doesn't come out as hoped! Sorry to hear that you are in the same boat with me!!!

What a co-winckie-dink! I guess that I was complacent and thought I knew all that I needed to know about back riveting my stiffeners onto the firewall.

I have done it all before, proseal, backriveting, MEK, gloves... nuttin new, really.

First, I made a hot batch of PS because of my lack of a scale. TOO HOT, assamatteruhfact. It started to cure as I was spreading the last of it and I was forced to hurry up and start riveting!

Next, the rivet gun started acting up. I had never used this set and spring combo and it just didn't like it. Sooooo, I had to find a functioning combo!

Then, having noticed the callouts were on the short side... wise guy me puts in the longer ones. In my haste, I start clubbing them! I need to keep on going because the PS is curing and I know that at least later I can drill the bad ones out and the proseal will have set.

It took me forever to wipe the excess PS off and I am looking at a pile of stinky gloves and rags!

Dammit all!

:notcool: CJ

I am gonna have a... no, make it TWO blueberry ales!
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

CJ did this happen tonight?!? We should mark the calendar and make sure NOT to work on 02-Sep-06 next year! SHEESH!

Well I'm done. Back to where I started the day and the problem mostly went away. That left side is still moving just a hair when I press on the skin. I suppose I'll wait until my trailing edge is riveted solid and the leading edge is bent and riveted before I'll know for sure. ...was hopin' this exercise would fix it though... :(

Did you get it all cleaned up? ...how's the firewall look?

- Peter
Peter Fruehling
RV-7 Wings -> QB Fuse in the shop!
North Oaks, MN -> Home Base (KMIC)

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Boy, sounds like you both had a rough day! :o

Me, I've been sorting washers, you know, the hardware sacks with 96 regular washers and 12 L washers in them. Some one at Van's has a warped sense of humor I think.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Peter,

Yah, it did happen tonight (last night as I type this).

It only did the brake line doubler and the diagonal angles. I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew. Most of the others I will be able to squeeze.

John,

I also sorted some materials! There were about 6 dash 3.5 rivets mixed in with my dash 4's! Fortunately, they had a slightly green tinge to the cad plating and it made them stand out from the dash 4's!

I suppose at least it is good that I caught them!

:oops: CJ
RV-7

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

CJ,

If you needed the scale, all ya had to do was ask.
If you want it, stop by today and pick it up. Just give my cell a ringy.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks Dave!

Well, I just keep forgetting to ask.

I will call you.

:) CJ
RV-7