I did it

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
bmurrish
Class D

I did it

Post by bmurrish »

Glad I got the first mistake out of the way early. :bang: I guess this is what I get for working after midnight. I was riveting the flange bearing VA-146 in between the HS-411s and somehow this happened. I still can not figure out how the hell I managed to do this. Notice rivet at 5 o'clock and below it. Image
I realize the rivet is bad and needs to be replaced. Not sure if HS-411 with the dimple needs to be replaced. A new HS-411 is $4.30, but I don't know how hard it would be to salvage the bearing and other HS-411 trying to drill out the rivets. Opinions welcomed.
Last edited by bmurrish on Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

If I understand what I see here, replace the rivet and just scuff and prime the 411 bracket.

"Smilies" occur when the rivet set is pulled away from the work before the hammer is stopped pounding. Looks like you had at least a couple of smacks left in the hammer when you pulled away, since you also smacked the bracket.

Not a big deal. Otherwise, nice work! I see you primed the bearing! Good job taping it off! Last I checked, primer wasn't a lubricant!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

The picture doesn't show it, but the dimple is pretty deep. I thought about sanding it down, but was affraid to thin the part to much. I may just order HS-411 if I can drill out the rivets without enlarging the holes. If it doesn't work out the way I am hoping then I will suck it up and buy both HS-411s and a new VA-146 bearing. All three parts come up to about $25. Live and learn. :)
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Dunno if I would do that. It ain't like it won't be inspectable before a preflight. Maybe it looks worse up close and personal?

:? CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Your call. $25 is cheap if you ask me.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I refuse to build a $70,000 plane for over $140,000.

Call me cheap...

8) CJ
RV-7

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Bill, I think this is more asthetic than structural. The bearing alignment will not be affected by the smiley face and it will be in a place where no one but you (and those of us whom you have told :mrgreen: ) will know. I would just replace the rivit and go on !
Dan

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Bill-

I assume from the above that you were bucking those rivets? Why not squeeze? I squeezed mine; it looks like those would be somewhat tough to buck.

As far as the part, you are the one that will be flying this plane, and if you hop in the cockpit every time thinking about that divot in the hinge I would say 25$ is cheap peace of mind. On the other hand, if there is an expert in the area or someone who could look closely at it and tell you if it is a big deal I might try that.

Good luck.

Thomas

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

All the rivets drilled out pretty easy. The bearing and other HS-411 look great. I attempted to scuff the smiley out, but don't feel comfortable with the outcome. I am going to suck it up an order a new one. I think it is worth the $4.30 for the piece of mind alone. I'll skip Starbucks Monday morning and call it even. I wanted to order a hat anyhow. :) :) :)
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Has anyone finished a -8 empennage? Is there extra -5 rivets in the bag or do I need to order 6 more?
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bill, Do not worry about using too many rivets. There is plenty to go around and if not, they are cheap and easy enough to order more.

I got TONS of extras in both sizes. I buy them long, so I can cut them to size for onesey-twosey's. If I need bulk, I will just buy them to size, if need be. I didn't need to for the emp.

Get the hat! It is nice!

:wink: CJ
RV-7

Thermos
Class D

Post by Thermos »

bmurrish wrote:I think it is worth the $4.30 for the piece of mind alone. I'll skip Starbucks Monday morning and call it even. I wanted to order a hat anyhow. :) :) :)
Hey Bill, that's a pretty cheap fix. Don't worry, they're more expensive as you get further into the project! :cry:
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Well, it did cost me more in the long run, because I ended up ordering a hat and a couple stickers for my vehicles. Gotta show my Vans pride. :)
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

bmurrish,

You did right, if you think you need to replace it, do it. It will drive you crazy if you don't. I still have one rivet on the horizontal which I look at all the time, not a problem, but I know it's there and it drives me nuts.

You will find as you move on in the building process, you most likely would have replaced the rivet and when on. It will come with time and experiance. Keep pounding!!!! (Actually, I'm a believer of squeezing when ever you can, easer to control and once set you will not over squeeze)

Dale
Golf Delta