Z Brackets should be Optional...

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
darrylDog2000
Class G

Z Brackets should be Optional...

Post by darrylDog2000 »

:bang: I've had a few bone-headers but here is the latest.

Yesterday I completed the fuel cell for the right wing. My tank was situated very near the wing so I had a close visual aide, and my plans were, of course, nearby.
I had the attach brackets ready with the nut plates attached, all lying in order on the main spar, so I couldn't possibly get them mixed up. Looking at the left wing plans, and the wing, and the tank I had it all figured out in my head :? (kind of like trying to comb your hair with your left hand while looking in a double mirror). The tank was upside down in relation to the wing so all I had to do was flip the z-brackets over and rivet them in place. Unfortunately, I looked at the plans again and I added a twist to my flip. :bang: I noticed how nice the rivets looked as I was drilling them out.

Luckily, I had only attached 3 brackets before I caught the error and drilling out pop-rivets is a snap.

Working on the right wing has been very challenging; it will help if you’re dyslexic.

I hope I don’t look at the tank tonight and discover that the brackets are all on wrong. Worse yet, I hope I don’t just think they’re wrong and change them…