What Inspection? Closing up empennage

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
gsimatos
Class E

What Inspection? Closing up empennage

Post by gsimatos »

I am just completing my horizontall stab and was about to rivet the rear spar in place when a well meaning buddy walked by and said " ya don't want to close the horizontal stab until ya get it inspected." After a long discussion I now understand that I must get the assemblies inspected before closing things up. So for my bone head question particularly to Canadian RV builders, how to I get this inspection process going????Am I too late having riveted the front spar in already??Burocarcy, nuts. Any advice please?? Gary Pitt Meadows BC Canada

JOHN TIPTON
Class E

Post by JOHN TIPTON »

I don't know what happens over there, but here in the UK every closer must be checked and the build log book signed by your inspector

John (PPL - co-building RV9a)

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Gary, your buddy is correct, an inspection is required before anything can be closed. Both sides of each and every rivet must be visible to an MD-RA inspector. Most builders get their entire tail done as far as possible prior to the first inspection, because it does cost you money for each inspection. Here is the link to the MD-RA site. Another site to have a look at is the RAA site (sorta the Canadian EAA, but not really, but close enough).

Rem Walker from the EAA Canadian Council has an info package available to new builders, you can write him at 2348 Garnet St., Regina, Saskatchewan S4T 3A2, or Tel: 306 352 6442, or Fax: 306 565 0694.

Another good source of info is COPA, they have lots of good tidbits just for amateur builders.

On my HS I left the rear spar and the HS-404 ribs out, but did everything else, that way the MD-RA inspector can see both the shop and manufactured side of each rivet. I have seen it done other ways which are fine as well just as long as every rivet can be seen on both sides.

If you have a local RAA chapter, look them up and attend the meetings, there will be others there that have gone through the process and can give you some tips. BTW, I wouldn't start ripping anything apart until you talk to a few locals and maybe even the MD-RA guy for your area. Hope this helps.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

This is one part of the process that makes me glad I live in the USA.

Granted, it's good to get inspections, but I'd rather have a Tech Advisor, or an A&P IA, or another builder who's completed an airplane take a look at the project rather than having to have a governmental department control yet another part of something I love to do.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

The people that do the inspections here are "Minister's Delegates" and not employed by the government at all. They are volunteers who have enough experience/knowledge to know what is safe and what is not and are authorized by the Department of Transportation to provide this service. It is through this group that we do the paper work. It is quite rare for a government inspector to ever look at an amateur built plane, it can happen, they have the right, but it seldom occurs.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Ahhhhhh... just build it!

Once it is all together, what can they say!?!

:lol: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Nice paper weight? :)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

It's and ALUMINUM SCULPTURE!

:wink: CJ
RV-7

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

If seeing ALL the rivets is required i am already hooped as there is no way to see the rivets for #407 ahead of the foreward spar. I am greatly discouraged at the notion of drilling out a bunch of rivets so lovingly put in but better to get all this clarified now than later. I have located a local builder -inspector and will wait to pull it apart pending his advice. Actually removing the 404 rib may be all I need. And in fairness to doing things right and on discussion with a regular AME on the field I see several "Suspect" rivets which are just not good enuf. I guess if ya want to zoom around in these things you want to get everything as close to perfect as is possible. I will let you all know what the inspector advises and i really appreciate all your helpful comments, Cheers Gary

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

Don S in Waterloo, one other thing, the RAA web site doesn't seem to be active, any ideas? Thanks again for your help earlier. I will let you know how extensive the dissassembly is when I have it inspected, Cheers Gary

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary, I am just being TOTALLY sarchastic!

However, just because it got inspected DOESN'T make it ANY SAFER!

I am SURE that you will build a FINE product either way!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

gsimatos wrote:Don S in Waterloo, one other thing, the RAA web site doesn't seem to be active, any ideas? Thanks again for your help earlier. I will let you know how extensive the dissassembly is when I have it inspected, Cheers Gary
You're welcome. Hmmm, yeah the website is down, was working not too long ago, I'll fire off a message to someone.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

Don I am now in touch with the 'Minister's Deligate-recreational aviation' guys so will get the project registered. Also checked out the RV Wing for my area in BC and got lots of info from a bunch of folks in my area so lots of brains to pick. So combined with this site and the huge collection of Rv guys from all over the world I think I am in good shape to carry on with the project. just drilled out my first rivet tonite so I guess i am initiated. Again Thanks to you and all the RV crew. Stay tuned for my next disaster next week Cheers Gary

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Glad to hear it Gary, keep on building, ask questions, and you'll be fine, I haven't run into one builder that hasn't been willing to give an opinion :).
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)