Hey Tmbg.....don't feel like the lone ranger.

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
jim_geo
Class C

Hey Tmbg.....don't feel like the lone ranger.

Post by jim_geo »

I would hate to have anyone feeling like they were the only ones screwing up. With that in mind I will present one of my show stoppers. I was so discouraged by this one I took a couple weeks off building the RV and built a deck in the backyard.
So notice in this picture that the assembly of the roll bar is all riveted and bolted together. Big mistake. There's a big hunk of angle under all that, that can't be riveted in until the side skins are attached. Everything had to come apart in order to buck three of the skin rivets on both sides. Six lousy little rivets in all.

Below is about two minutes before I realized how badly I'd crashed and burned

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

You could always just "cherry max" them.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

hooray! hehehe
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Tried Cherry Max! Can't get the puller up in there. The only way to do it is with a second set of hands and an off set rivet set.

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I mis-understood, I thought you were talking about the outside ones, not the ones that are inside the roll bar. How about a squeezer with a C yoke or long die set ?
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

...or using a threaded fastener (8/32 bolt, perhaps?).

Would you be able to do that, Jim?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

OK the deed is done. It was a cussed couple of hours and several screwed up rivets but I got it done about a week ago. It's all good now. I did it with my long off set rivet set and a lot persistence. Still couldn't get staright on the rivets and bucking them was a pain. Going the bolt route was definitely the next thing I was going to try. The rivets I'm talking about are the ones up underneath the back support up in the dark little corner where everything comes together.

EDIT:

This is a better shot of where they are. They are the upper two outboard side. You can get a good look at them but because of where they are and the part shapes around them I couldn't get tools in to work them. Maybe I just don't have enough tools yet :roll: . By the way the canopy latch wasn't there yet. That picture is just new work. So's the one below.