My First Mistake.

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
Jeff Moreau
Class G

My First Mistake.

Post by Jeff Moreau »

Unfortunately I had to order two HS-405 replacement ribs for my RV8 this morning. :(
Here is how it happened. I was progressing nicely with drilling my horizontal stab. It came time to mate the front flange of the HS-405 to the HS-702 and HS-810-1 and HS-814-1.
This is to be done using the holes previously pilot drilled to #40 in the forward flange of HS-405 as a drill guide.
The instructions say that it is best to use an angle drill for this step.
No problem I thought. I'll use the angle drill set that came in my Avery's RV builders tool kit. It looks like a wonderful tool but beware! ! !
When I started to drill the hole the bit started to wander in the hole and acted more like a small router than a drill bit. Now mind you, this is the first time that I have attempted to use this angle drill on an actual aircraft part, but the way it chewed the hole up I can say that I would recommend it or use it in the future. If you are getting ready to drill these holes anytime soon all that I can offer as advice is BE CAREFUL!
I hope this helps someone avoid the mistake that I made.
And P.S. Yes I ruined both HS 405 ribs attempting to drill the holes.
I am now looking for a new solution to drill the holes.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Jeff Moreau
RV8-A
N888JA

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Hmm, are you saying that you think its the drill's fault or your fault? Im a bit unclear on that. If its the drill's then I'd be interested in knowing why. I will have to get one in the future and want to know what I should stay away from :)

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Jeff Moreau
Class G

Post by Jeff Moreau »

spike wrote:Hmm, are you saying that you think its the drill's fault or your fault? Im a bit unclear on that. If its the drill's then I'd be interested in knowing why. I will have to get one in the future and want to know what I should stay away from :)

-- John
I believe the drill is the culprit. The head of the drill is a bit too large to fit in the area that is required. It has to rest against the 405 and this places a bit of side stress against the bit and causes it to wander.
Believe me, I was extremely careful (considering that I had already damaged one rib) and it happened again a second time.
Jeff Moreau
RV8-A
N888JA

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Ok got it. Sounds like its not so much a tool quality issue as much as it possibly being the wrong tool, or at least not a good variant for that particular job. Thanx for the info :thumbsup:

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

I am not sure with your pre-punch parts but with my empennage I used those foot long number 40 and 30 drill bits. You have to bend it slightly then guide it with your other hand but it works. (I personally prefer to drill the holes smaller, cleco them together with a silver cleco then enlarge later when separated. Replace with copper cleco if needed. However if you listen to the tool purists the best way to enlarge a hole is with a reamer.)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

arffguy wrote:I am not sure with your pre-punch parts but with my empennage I used those foot long number 40 and 30 drill bits. You have to bend it slightly then guide it with your other hand but it works. (I personally prefer to drill the holes smaller, cleco them together with a silver cleco then enlarge later when separated. Replace with copper cleco if needed. However if you listen to the tool purists the best way to enlarge a hole is with a reamer.)
Ditto on the 12" drill bit. Negatory on the reamer. I haven't used a reamer before, but the side cutting action scares the bejesus out of me. I am afraid of accidentally elongating the hole.

:o CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Post by Guest »

Here's another thing to watch out for.....
When I drilled these holes the first time, I used an angle drill with a short bit. I had to slightly angle the "angle drill" and as it started to cut through the material, the chuck pushed-up against the rib and made the hole oval.
The second time I did this, I used the angle drill attachment but with a long (12 inch, or so) bit.

Dave