Not for plastic parts

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
Wicked Stick
Class B

Not for plastic parts

Post by Wicked Stick »

Just thought I'd share an embarrassing moment/blunder, while at the same time, help to prevent anyone else from making the same mistake as I did.

In my quest to help prevent screws from loosening, I picked up some (blue) Loctite and proceeded to put small amounts on the threads of some of the smaller screws/nuts that either do not have lockwashers or nyloc nuts for them.

I put some on the small allen set screws for the knobs of my ADI-Pilot II, and some other small screws that hold together the plastic halfs on the D-Sub connectors covers.
I didn't bother to read the very very small print on the back of the tube that said not for plastic, only for metal... So a few days later when I went to take off the two halves of the D-sub cover so I could re-thread the wire through a different way, I noticed the plastic around the screw holes had started to fall apart and crack/split everwhere around it. Then I discovered the knobs on the ADI were plastic and not aluminum because I went to move the knobs and they fell off the shaft because they were falling apart.

SO, "note to self"...and everyone else who didn't know this... NO Loctitie anywhere near plastic parts.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Dave,

Good information, thanks for sharing. Now I'm sure it will save some of us problems.

Thanks,
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

holy crap man... this is good info.. have not done it yet but i sure wont now. wonder how it affects nylocs?
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Nylocs wouldn't need any loctite as they already prevent loosening.

Glad you find it usefull... I guess I just gotta read the fine print more often. You'd think they would have a little larger text about it or at least something on the front of the tube... :roll:
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR