Ovaled holes

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Ovaled holes

Post by RV7Factory »

Maybe this has been brought up before, but to be honest, I am just too darn lazy to search. :P

I drilled my F-7101 Gear Attach Webs to the F-902 Bulkheads yesterday with my 90° drill attachment. When I was done I found that a few of the holes in the F-7101s have become egged, ovaled, or in one case almost eighted. I guess my 90° drilling skills need some work.

Anyway... what do you think the best course of action is here? I was thinking of A) doing noting and letting the rivet fill the extra space, or B) Make a little doubler out of .040 or something to go on top of the F-7101 with the oblong holes.

What sayeth you?

These holes, copper clecoes on the left...
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I would drill to 5/32 and put an AN5 rivet in...that would take care of the oval holes, and the figure 8 hole. JMHO...BTW, it's SOP for me when that happens.

:wink: :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

I think I got a couple of those laying around somewhere. I'll take a look. Thanks!
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bradley, a couple of things here.

It isn't you. It is the drill. My 90 degree drill is surplus and wobbles all over the place. I start off small and step up to ensure accuracy and a nice cylindrical hole.

Next up, you will be SQUEEZING THESE! When it comes to assembly, squeeze these rivets while the parts are OFF THE PLANE and ON THE BENCH!

It is WAY easier and you can buy me a beer later.

Before you squeeze them, get some slightly long AN 470 4-X (Maybe X=5?) and pre-squeeze them, making a set of "oops" rivets and use them. No need for larger rivets or substitute fasteners.

ALSO, cut your fuel line holes in now and don't forget to install the angles on the F-7101's for the fuel line cover plates now. This way you won't have aluminum shavings in your plane for eternity and can use solid rivets there.

Install the platenuts on the angles after they are squeezed so you can do all solid rivets. If not, you will have to pull 2 of them, like someone I know...

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

I second CJ's comments about doing the fuel line/wiring covers and end attach angles now instead of later!

I waited till this weekend to do these and they are a royal pain in the rear! Tough to do with the fuel lines in place! There is no way to clamp them and it is just an eyeball alignment method to get them positioned.
Mine came out well but it was no easy task to get them in.

Do it while you are building the front fuse to save a ton of headacke later!
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!