Extra dimpled hole

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
Joew
Class G

Extra dimpled hole

Post by Joew »

I hope you all can relate. My 8 yearold son and I were dimpling the right rudder skin, along the line of holes that attach to the spar. We were making great progress (only three holes to go) until......... he got a little ahead of himself and dimpled a extra hole at the edge of the actual hole.

Short of replacing the skin, is there a way to fix it? I was considering flattening out the damaged dimple and drill a new hole above and below the damaged site. It should not make a difference strength wise, just throw off the rivet pattern near the top.

What are your thoughts? The idea of replacing it and redoing the stiffeners does not sound appealing, but would do it if needed.

Thanks,

Joe

newtech
Class E

Post by newtech »

Go for it. There is hardly a matched hole RV flying that doesn't have an extra hole/rivet oddly spaced somewhere. Do it and build on.
Steve Eberhart, W9BOJ
3EV - Evansville, IN
Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, New Panel with Garmin G3X and 696, Icom A210, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009

cnpeters
Class E

Post by cnpeters »

Welcome to the club - most of us have done it regardless of a pediatric handicap. What I would do is flatten the dimple with a regular squeezer flat set, file the hole if any rough edge with a needle/jeweler's file, then press on. I'll fill those few holes later before paint. I treated the nearby regular rivet hole as usual. Here is one of my screw ups:

Carl Peters
RV-9A
N92RV (reserved)
Fuselage
http://www.mykitlog.com/cnpeters/