Battery tray lightening holes TIP!

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Battery tray lightening holes TIP!

Post by cjensen »

I am posting this in the screw up chronicals because after the tool I found today, I feel like I screwed up last night! :wink:

I read a lot of websites to find the best way to cut the lightening holes in the battery box. Most people have used fly cutters or hole saws. Well, following what worked for others, I started out by using a metal cutting hole saw. I thought it was going to work fine when it began cutting thru the powdercoating. That ended quickly when the teeth hit the stainless steel. After an hour went by, I had two holes VERY roughly cut, and a ruined hole saw. I began the third hole with that hole saw, and then switched to my fly cutter. I must have a cheap fly cutter or something, because that only lasted about 20 minutes before it was junk. I ended up sawing thru that third hole with a box cutter (the SS was pretty thin). At that point, I became rather frustrated with the whole thing, and quit.

This is the crappy result-

Today, I found the solution...and the TIP to pass along! Greenlee punches (if you have them, or access to them...they are expensive!) I also highly recommend a hydraulically actuated punch piston, but that's a bit over the top for a home tool. Our avionics shop has a whole set of Greenlee punches, AND the hydraulic actuator! This was SO FREAKIN' EASY that I could kick myself for not thinking of this last night!

Here's the setup...

The punch sliced thru the SS like a hot knife on a stick of butter...the hole on the left was just done-

At the end of the day, I had ALL the holes done, and the other NINE holes took a total of 20 minutes!! Now, it would take a bit longer without the hydraulic actuator, but using a socket or wrench with the punch would be dramatically faster.

I did put lightening holes in the sides of the box, which is not in the plans, but I saw the sides of the box as being HEAVY, so I put cut 'em out!

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Mike Balzer
Class E

Battery Tray Lightening Holes

Post by Mike Balzer »

Looks like you did a good job. I used a similar method for lightening up my tail kit by using dies that make a hole and flare it at the same time by squeezing the dies in a vice.

Nice Work,

Mike Balzer
It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, then being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. N78MB

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Ill remember that when I get there. Ill just run down to my employer's shop and use theirs ..... uh ...... err ..... maybe not!

Must be nice Chad !!
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Did the same but I was not lucky enough to have a hydraulic puller. Mine use a wrench to turn!
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Spike wrote:Ill remember that when I get there. Ill just run down to my employer's shop and use theirs ..... uh ...... err ..... maybe not!

Must be nice Chad !!
It is. And I realize that that particular tool won't be available to many, but the tip was the Greenlee punch...not the actuator... :wink: :) I just found this tool SO COOL, that I had to share it! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

Note to self... send battery box and a 6-pack of fruity beer to Chad. :P
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

RV7Factory wrote:Note to self... send battery box and a 6-pack of fruity beer to Chad. :P
Works for me! I had fun using that tool! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

rv8or
Class E

Post by rv8or »

RV7Factory wrote:Note to self... send battery box and a 6-pack of fruity beer to Chad. :P

HA!

:rofl:

J
Joe Ferraro
aka: "jferraro16"
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

thats what i used and it was effortless.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.