I hate machine countersink ....

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

Gary, I got some disagreement on this issue when I was building my HS, but after studying the manual, writing to Van's tech support, and doing some practicing on test pieces of metal, I went with Van's recommendations. I used the same procedures on the VS and they worked very well.

The dimple should *not* sit down flush into the countersink; if it does, the countersink is too deep. Order a new doubler, and go with the notes in Chapter 5. You will need to use the rivet gun on those rivets to drive the doubler and the spar together. If you try to use the squeezer, you'll end up with a gap between the parts.

I'm curious about the asymetry of the holes in the pic that CJ posted for you. Am I misinterpreting the pic, or are the holes on the left and right not directly across from one another?

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

P'wich, Spike, Captain J and Co. You guys really have gone the extre mile for me on this one and another hurdle clarified and greatly appreciated. Mabe I should put it all in a box and send it to you guys, just kidding. Bottom line I will call for a new doubler tomorrow, just not worth it to be unsure of this piece in particular. Regarding the apparent asymetry of the holes in the photo I was pretty close and the camera doesn't seem to like that. The 2 holes on the right are I think opposite to eachother however the odd ball on the left I don't think is a function of the camera or angle. And now looking at drawing #6 it does look a little goofy. Not an issue with the new spar coming BUT i expect the #803 rear spar will have the same pattern drilled in it so mabe I will be ordering one of them also. I will look tomorrow and let ya know Cheers and thanks again G

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

That is what we are here for buddy! :thumbsup:
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary,

Looks like your album is up and running!

I was just going to upload this pic for you when I saw this:

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

C?J yup got the pic into the album. Better quality but doesn't really give a good indication of the depth of the countersinking but they really are way too deep. The unusual hole patern cooresponds to my bottom upper hinge on the left. Anyway got new doubler ordered. Back in the shop on tuesday. thanks again for your help G

RVNewsletter
Class D

Post by RVNewsletter »

I was a taught to use a slower turning drill on the countersink. And I always back off on the depth and then go back and finish the job with slight adjustments increasing said depth.