Ugggh, can I quit?

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I have the concept. My point was that I don't believe that I am putting any dissimilar metals together that Van's isn't doing 30 times over in other parts of the aircraft.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

keep it going Spike, looking good.

I agree if an AN screw bolting Alclad AL skin to powder coated steel is cause concern, we are all doomed.
Brian
Townsend, MT

smittysrv
Class D

Post by smittysrv »

You're not the only one with boo-boos. I drilled that whole line (and the same one on the other side) to #30 before realizing my mistake. My RV now has two lines of 1/8" rivets instead of 3/32" rivets. Not one person visiting my shop and looking at my project has noticed.
Oooooh, I so glad to hear you say that Bruce! I did it too...

smittysrv
Class D

Post by smittysrv »

On the metal corrision thing. Is there any difference between a washer from Vans and a washer from Home Depot? Would they have any affect on each other?

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

smittysrv wrote:On the metal corrision thing. Is there any difference between a washer from Vans and a washer from Home Depot? Would they have any affect on each other?
IMO it isnt where there are from, but what they are made of.

Example, say I have a stackup of a screw going through aluminum. Ideally there would be an aluminum washer under the head, and another aluminum washer on the opposite side closest to the aluminum part. Depending on grip length, there may another thicker alum. washer, or a cadium plated steel washer next to the locknut. The locknuts usually have a baked on coating(moly B i think).

This is done in order to minimize dissimilar metals from directly touching. You cant avoid it at all times, but it is also something that I would look at. If I am disassembling the same stackup as part of another maintenance proccess, I would look at the hardware and dispose of as necessary, and the aluminum parts are also examined for corrosion. If corrosion is found, it is written up and processed as time allows.

In most cases, it is usually just some minor surface corrosion that can be taken care of pretty quickly with a wire brush or some mild abrasives such as scotch-brite.

We also have a more intensive maintenance inspection cycle for these 63 million dollar aircraft. 28 day wash/lube, 56 day intensive visual corrosion inspection, 100 flight hour phase etc etc.