Screw up

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
Joe Parish
Class D

Screw up

Post by Joe Parish »

I dimpled the holes in the top of both skins(and ribs) on the HS where the empennage fairing will attach later. Will it be a issue getting the nut plates on with the skin and rib dimpled? I have no experience with nut plates yet so I am looking for input. Thanks
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Screw up

Post by Spike »

You can un dimple things once. I have done it very successfully with a hand squeezer and flag sets. No biggie, fix it and keep going.

Spike

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

-----Original message-----
From: RB Lists - General Construction <support@rivetbangers.com>
To:
generalconstruction@rivetbangers.com
Sent:
Sat, Jan 1, 2011 02:49:37 GMT+00:00
Subject:
Screw up

I dimpled the holes in the top of both skins(and ribs) on the HS where the empennage fairing will attach later. Will it be a issue getting the nut plates on with the skin and rib dimpled? I have no experience with nut plates yet so I am looking for input. ThanksJoe N525XC reserved Empennage in progress RV-9 rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35977#35977
Submitted via email

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I did the same thing Joe...like Spike says, just flatten them back out and move on! :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Joe Parish
Class D

screw up

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks guys, I did not realize I should not have dimpled them until I was dimpling the VS skin. The HS is done but I will have to undimple both the skin and rib at the same time. I made the assumption on the HS that they should be dimpled instead of asking. I stoppped and inquired before I dimpled the VS skin and found out I should not have dimpled the HS skin in those 10 holes. Moving on Thanks!
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

almost need to change the thread title, this is more of an "oops" and a right of passage.

One thing to help in the future.

1. get the drawing and the skins laid out.

2. grab a sharpie and mark where different rivets are placed or nutplates.

I would circle some of the different ones or maybe put an X over some holes. special length rivets I would just write 4-7(or whatever) next to it.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

I do use a sharpie marker quite a bit. I made an ASSumption on the HS skin which I should never do. I thought the holes should be dimpled even though the emp fairing attached there.:bang: Live and learn!
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

IF I could locate my 20/20 hindsight glasses I would let you borrow them to find problems before they occur. :mrgreen:
Brian
Townsend, MT

smithhb
Class D

Post by smithhb »

Joe Parish wrote:I do use a sharpie marker quite a bit. I made an ASSumption on the HS skin which I should never do. I thought the holes should be dimpled even though the emp fairing attached there.:bang: Live and learn!
Joe, if you dimpled where the fairing attaches, why not just leave them dimpled and use countersunk platenuts (K1100-08 ). Build on.
Bret Smith
9A Flying (N16BL)
Blue Ridge, GA
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
APRS Tracking: http://www.flightinnovations.com/tracking.html

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks for the advice Brett. I have not dealt with platenuts and did not know about countersunk platenuts. I learn a few new things every day on this project.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

airguy
Class E

Post by airguy »

cjensen wrote:I did the same thing Joe...like Spike says, just flatten them back out and move on! :wink:
Same here - you can do it ONCE.
Greg Niehues
Midland, TX
RV9A - finishing - 90% done, 90% to go
http://websites.expercraft.com/airguy/
Building a 9A with too much fuel and too much engine - should drop dead any minute now. :roll: