J-stringer

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
Joe Parish
Class D

J-stringer

Post by Joe Parish »

I ran my j-stringer to the edge of the skins, yes both ends :bang: I trimmed the outboard edge for the wing tips but I looked thru the preview plans to see if I need to do the same with the inboard edge but came up with nothing. I need to know if the j-stringer will need to be trimmed on the inboard edge. Will it inter fear with anything if I leave it as is. And yes they are rivet to the skins :bang:
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Ok its been years since I did that and obviously I dont have the kit anymore, but it seems to me that you didnt' do anything wrong. Do the plans show them shorter?
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks Spike, I just needed to take another look at it. The outboard edge I did goof up on, the j- stringer should end at the rib. The flange of the outboard rib faces inboard. So there is a 1/2 inch of the skin that goes past the rib. I trimmed the j-stringer off already to accommodate the hinge for the wing tip.

The inboard rib flange faces inboard so it ends flush with the skin, which answers my question. No problem on the inboard side. A new day and a fresh look gives you a clear picture. Sorry for my confusion and thanks for the help. I surely could not do it without some help.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A