Dimple or countersink?

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
Reheat
Class G

Dimple or countersink?

Post by Reheat »

ok...I can add to this (more times than I'd like). My last biggie was installing some nutplates to the the rear armrests of my 8QB fuselage. The material was thin and should have been dimpled. BUT, I looked at what the Phillipine boys did on some of the QB stuff and it looked like they countersunk THEIR rivets. Long story short, I buggered the holes up something awful and went thru my lower vocabulary intensly. Fortunately these nutplates only hold on some flimsy side panels that could be velcro'd if you wanted to.

Bottom line... if the stuff is thin enough, dimple it!
8QB -fus

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Funny you mention that. ...

Post by Spike »

I was curious tonight as to what the recommendation was for countersink vs dimple. A little research seemed to indicate that Van's recommends dimpling for anythin .040" and thinner. Goold ole chapter 5 in the preview plans. I can understand about the "lower end of my vocabulary" comment. I have a feeling that I will be exploring mine quite a bit during this project. :smash:

Reheat
Class G

dimples

Post by Reheat »

You are right... sometimes it is hard to remember the basics. A periodic review of chpt 5 or whatever is necessary. Scewups are inevitable. I like this forum because I think learining from other's mistakes is one of the best sources of useful information you can get.
8QB -fus