ww 200RV prop

A place to discuss different propellers and their pros & cons.
hydroguy2
Class B

ww 200RV prop

Post by hydroguy2 »

Anyone have any updated feedback on the WW 200Rv prop?

I'm thinking about placing an order for my -7.
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Re: ww 200RV prop

Post by hydroguy2 »

hydroguy2 wrote:Anyone have any updated feedback on the WW 200Rv prop?
Nevermind, I went ahead and put the deposit down. It''s the prop I want, so now I need to find a way to pay for it...just like everything else in this plane. :o
Brian
Townsend, MT

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I so understand the money aspect, but ya know what, I'm getting to the point that if I wait for all of the planets to align, it won't happen. Go for it and let us know how you like the prop.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Speed3Guy
Class E

Post by Speed3Guy »

I've got a little over 60 hours on mine. Love it. Climbs well, cruises well, and quiet. My 8A is faster than the numbers published by Van's. The only prop that has been on my plane is the 200RV though, so I don't have any comparison information.

Guy
Guy Prevost
Albuquerque, NM
RV-8a Flying!
http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Speed3Guy wrote:..... Love it. Climbs well, cruises well, and quiet. ......is faster than the numbers .......Guy
:mrgreen: That's what I'm talking about! :mrgreen:

anything special about your engine?
Brian
Townsend, MT

Speed3Guy
Class E

Post by Speed3Guy »

hydroguy2 wrote:anything special about your engine?
Nope. Mattituck TMX-IO360. 180 hp, vertical sump, Precision Airmotive fuel injection. Standard compression, One Lightspeed PlasmaII+, One mag.
Guy Prevost
Albuquerque, NM
RV-8a Flying!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Speed3Guy wrote: Nope. Mattituck TMX-IO360. 180 hp, vertical sump, Precision Airmotive fuel injection. Standard compression, One Lightspeed PlasmaII+, One mag.
Sweet....that's basically the same combo I have on my -7! Hopefully with the James cowl/plenum I will blow past Van's numbers as well. I too look forward to experiencing all the greatness I have heard about the 200RV prop.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

aparchment
Class C

200RV Groupees

Post by aparchment »

Looks like we will have to form a row at OSH just for 7s with Whirlwind props. I jumped in too, though I don't need mine for a while.

Speed3Guy
Class E

Re: 200RV Groupees

Post by Speed3Guy »

aparchment wrote:Looks like we will have to form a row at OSH just for 7s with Whirlwind props. I jumped in too, though I don't need mine for a while.
I guess I'll have to park elsewhere since my Whirlwind prop is on a lowly 8A. :cry: :)
Guy Prevost
Albuquerque, NM
RV-8a Flying!

aparchment
Class C

don't cry

Post by aparchment »

Aw heck Guy, don't cry. We can just put all the planes with WW200s on the same row :-)

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

Guys plane beats the numbers because the paint is so slick...... :wink:
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Guy,

I get the same results with my 8 / WW200RV combo. It's a tad faster than the other simular configured RV 8's.

Enjoy!!

Dan A

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

bullojm1 wrote: ....... same combo I have on my -7! Hopefully with the James cowl/plenum .....
Mike did you use a Saber prop extension? or what?

I just talked with Kevin at AmericaPropeller. I was under the impression I ordered a extended hub prop during the group buy. But apparently the hub that comes on the group buy props needs an extension from Saber to work with the James Cowl.
Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

hydroguy2 wrote:
Mike did you use a Saber prop extension? or what?

I just talked with Kevin at AmericaPropeller. I was under the impression I ordered a extended hub prop during the group buy. But apparently the hub that comes on the group buy props needs an extension from Saber to work with the James Cowl.
Brian-

No, I didn't use the Saber extension. Since I was going vertical induction, I could use the James short cowl and get away with the standard hub. I am pretty sure Kevin told me I could get an extended hub back in 2008 for my prop instead of the standard hub if I didn't want to go with the extension. I say work on him for the extended hub if you really need it. You going with the SJ cowl? Vertical or Horizontal induction? Feel free to contact me off-list at mike@rvplane.com for any specific questions.
Mike Bullock

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Yes, I'm going with long James cowl. Horizontal FI. I too was under the impression that a longer hub was available on the WW200RV. I was in contact with Kevin at AmericaProp today, he informed me that I need to buy a Saber extension. Aaargh! more money

I jumped on the group buy last April and am just now finalizing my prop order. Part of the reason I went with the WW is no extension ($$). I have an email to WhirlwindAviation asking about the hubs now. I may get my money back from American Prop and do something different....gotta sleep on it.

Thanks for the info
Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I really don't know what you can do different for an extended hub c/s hub. I say pester Kevin at American Props and tell him WW (I wish I knew his name @ WW in OH, might be worth a call to the mothership of WW) told some other SATISFIED 200RV purchaser could opt for FREE to get the extended McCauley hub on their WW 200RV. I think it could be something American Props may not know about but the factory does.

A prop extension is not the end of the world if you have to resort to it. You will still be lighter than a Hartzell (BTW u will have to get the Saber extension for that prop toooo).

Plus why Horizontal Induction? Sure, no ugly scoop, but all my vertical induction FI guys say they get more MP out of their engine since the scoop pushes the air right into their engine compared to the local Horizontal induction guys. Its only 5 HP more in ideal environments. Is $5000+ worth 5HP??? Clearly you can tell I am a vertical fuel injection fan :evil:
Mike Bullock

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

I've already sent my email to Whirlwind asking about the hubs. We'll see what they have. I realize the Saber isn't a deal breaker, just another $300 :( .

For me the horizontal FI is just something I want. It's adding $1300. I'll probably build a Ram air for it.

Sometimes I get an idea in my head and cost takes a backseat, other times I'm pretty frugal. I have a vision and hopefully one day I'll be flying that vision.

of course I may crash and burn, since I'm building a tip-up taildragger, no pax brakes, left hand throttle, no back up gages, cracked canopy and no flame test interior.....yikes
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Slept on it and then called Whirlwind this morning. After talking with Greg, he said in the past, they had gotten some servicable McCauley hubs which are 2" longer. But they currently aren't doing that AND the James cowl would need shortened to fit. I have decided to go ahead with my purchase and also purchase a Saber extension. oh well it's only money
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

went to my friends body shop and brought home some paint charts. Picked out a couple of colors for my prop. I can't afford a real fancy paint job, but am having it painted....no chad, it's not red and silver
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

got an email last night. Prop should be shipped by mid-November. On thursday, I received my Saber prop extension..very nice looking piece. It wasn't banished to the shop, like most airplane parts.

oh yeah that whirling, sucking sound you can hear across the nation is the vortex centered on my checking account. I like to think of it as my own personal stimulus package for aviation....now if I could just get the taxpayers to bail me out.
Brian
Townsend, MT