Whirlwind's 3 bladed model 151

A place to discuss different propellers and their pros & cons.
Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Anyone have any comments on Whirlwind's props for RV's ?

I know of one RV-8 in MA that is using the 150 model and seems to like it very much. I'm considering the 151 for mine.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

I have a WW 200RV on my 8. I haven't run it yet but will in a couple of months or so. It looks really great and is of high quality. Also contact Randy Lervold at (www.rv8.com).He did quite a bit of testing for the company.
Dan

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Dave,
We are currently looking at the 151 for our "eight" also. I have been talking to a couple of guys about them and so far, not too many drawbacks. I will continue to research this series of propellors. Have you thought about the RV prop.

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Guys, Why the 151 when there is a WW200RV available which was designed for the 180+ HP Arr Vee's?

http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/series200rv.php

I must say, it is a fairly attractive package... but it is some SERIOUS LOOT!

Almost NINE LARGE for the WW200RV!!!!

(including the Czech Jihostroj governor)

:o CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Danny is right. Randy has done his homework!

Here is Randy's prop page:

http://www.rv-8.com/Prop.htm

TONS of info!

:) CJ
RV-7

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

mustang wrote:Dave,
We are currently looking at the 151 for our "eight" also. I have been talking to a couple of guys about them and so far, not too many drawbacks. I will continue to research this series of propellors. Have you thought about the RV prop.

Cheers, Pete
Mustang,

If you want the 151, then be prepared to have a counter weighted crankshaft engine. Whirlwind has told me that only the 200RV or the 200C is recommended for the IO-360 engines that are non-counterweighted. Follow the link below and you can see how the prop hub and not necessarily the blades are the issue. It looks like they have built-up the 200 hub quite a bit more. So for me, It's either gonna be the 200RV or the 200C.

http://www.rivetbangers.com/cgi-php/gal ... 151_vs_201
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Hi All,
I opted for the 200RV. I'll know in a few weeks how it performs, for now it sure looks good! Randy thought it was smooth and efficient. I should start the painting process in about 2-3 weeks.
Dan N742DA 80003

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Okay Okay, I doubled up :oops: I forgot I had already addressed this thread!! :wink:
Dan

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

John,
The reason we are considering the 151 is for the lightness and the smoothness. Both of those characteristics are worth quite a bit.
Cheers, pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

Wow!! You guy's sure have a lot more $$ than I did when I was building.. I put on a CS Hartzell for three grand. Works great, goes just as fast as everyone else and I have more $$ for fuel!

If I did it again, I may even go with a fixed pitch. Less maintenance and cheaper, and still get great numbers. Traveling together, the CS RV would most likely be just completing shut down when I arrived in the fixed pitch..

Just some food for thought.
Golf Delta

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

728GD wrote:Wow!! You guy's sure have a lot more $$ than I did when I was building..
Well, currently I am just talking!

Talk, after all... is cheap!

:lol: CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

What I really want to know is were you got a fixed pitch prop and accessories for $3K !!!

Well, currently I am just talking!

Talk, after all... is cheap!

Image CJ

Submitted via email

arffguy
Class E

costs

Post by arffguy »

[quote="spike"]What I really want to know is were you got a fixed pitch prop and accessories for $3K !!!

He probably got that CS prop years ago. When I first got my RV-4 plans the kit was 8000 dollars and now it's 13,700. Talk about kicking myself in the butt sometimes.
Mikey
RV-6A Wings
"If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

I bought a CS for 3K three years ago. I know a couple of prop shops that will build one up. They will be non certified, but they will go through them first and tell you what doesn't meet specs. I was able to find an old governer and traded the core for a rebuilt one, total cost $175. That's it. Mine came from an RV8 friend of mine. He bought it and flew it for about a year. Never seemed to reach the speed he thought he should. It is a 74" from an old warrior. He bought a brand spanking new 76" from Vans. As he puts it, "now I fly the exact same speed but have a 5K prop on my nose".

There is a shop out here on the west coast, where I got mine (they stand behind their work) and one out on the east coast. I have not purchased any props from them but know 4 or 5 planes flying with their rebuilds with no problems.

Dale
Golf Delta

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

Now that is a great idea that I had not even thought of. Having the prop shop build up a non-certified version. So simple of an idea that it eluded me. Duh, Mikey!
Mikey
RV-6A Wings
"If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

arffguy,
If you are interested, shoot me an email and I can get you some information. Better yet, I see your from Sac, I live in Folsom and keep my 6 out at Cameron Park. I don't think there is any better way to meet someone than a flight in an RV. Let me know what you think.

Dale
Golf Delta

dirtmanf800
Class G

Post by dirtmanf800 »

hello, where is the shop on the east coast located :?: If it's not too far i'll swing by there to say hello :!:
collecting tools, planning shop, studying -9A preview plans, old and new training project on hand, fabricating stiffeners.
dirtmanf800

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

I don't have that information with me right now, but I will get if from some friends and give it to you via e-mail. I don't think Spike would want advertising, even if it is indirect. Shoot me an email and I'll send one back to you.

Dale
Golf Delta

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

728GD wrote:...I don't think Spike would want advertising, even if it is indirect. Shoot me an email and I'll send one back to you.

Actually that is incorrect. I don't want direct advertising here, and more specifically, I dont want direct advertising supporting this site. I want the members to feel completely comfortable in their ability to express their thoughts and experiences here without worrying about crossing a site sponsor or some such.

With that said I not only don't mind indirect advertising by past customers or those with experiences, I specifically encourage it. The best way for our members and the RV community to find out where and from whom to get the best products is by telling each other. We even have a specific forum setup (Vendor Experiences) for this purpose though nobody has used it as of yet. The point is that if you have a great vendor you would like to tell the world about, or even have an experience that you didnt like feel free to post about it here.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

In that case, my prop was made up by Sullivan Prop 510-782-0920. They are located at the Hayward, CA airport. They stand behind their work and I have never had a problem when trying to reach them. I don't know what Bruce would charge for a prop today. Wouldn't hurt to track him down and ask him though.

Dale
Golf Delta