Metal Sensenich RV prop w/2600 RPM limitation

A place to discuss different propellers and their pros & cons.
maverick
Class G

Metal Sensenich RV prop w/2600 RPM limitation

Post by maverick »

Is anyone flying with the RV-specific metal Sensenich 70CM series prop?
(http://www2.sensenich.com/direct/vans.htm)

How do you like it?

How restrictive do you find the 2600 RPM limitation? Is it easy to stay below or do you find yourself inadvertantly exceeding it in day-to-day operations?

The RV-4 we bought has an wood prop that's too coarse, so I need a new one. The heavier metal prop would work better for CG (moves CG forward) than a composite like Catto. But, I'm concerned about the RPM limitation. From the little flying I've done in the -4, it's rather sensitive in pitch. I'm afraid that inadvertant forward stick in cruise, like when looking at a chart, and bam! you're over the RPM limit.

Thx,
Max

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

This is the sort of thing that I am worried about. Flying along in your RV with and Engine/Porp combo that has limitations on it for Rpm.

There are some props out there that dont bring these limitations to the engines but....and this is a big but, they cost alot more.

ie sensenich ($1900) to the Whirl wind ($7500)

Not getting into the CS or FP debate. Just talking about price
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

maverick
Class G

Post by maverick »

I decided to go with and ordered composite Catto prop (cattoprops.com). No rpm limitations.

As far as moving CG forward -- I'll be installing a heavy 22 lb prop extension, replacing my light 6 lb one. This makes the CG numbers come out really nice.

Max

Dayton Murdock
Class G

Prop Extension

Post by Dayton Murdock »

Where did you find a 22 lbs prop extension? :?:

Dayton

Post by Guest »

Talk to Sam at http://www.sabermfg.com/. He has heavy prop extensions and heavy crush plates. Both help move CG forward.

Max