Tailwheel flyin'

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
tshort
Class C

Tailwheel flyin'

Post by tshort »

Just some thoughts for those of you that might be still debating about where to put the little wheel...
I did 2.2 of dual in the 170 yesterday ... my first real TW training. Winds were 30-40deg off the rwy at 8-10kt. What a blast! It definitely takes some attention and footwork, but nothing fancy. I did all but one of the landings with no CFI intervention - and he only helped on the first because I asked him to in advance. The TW airplane is not what legend would have you believe - it is not a squirrely uncontrollable demon that is waiting to loop off the runway at a moments inattention.

I'll be the first to admit that I had some serious trepidation about building a TW plane, especially after looping the citabria (see http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_ ... 150&akey=1 - mechanical problem resulted in loss of control) but now I am sure that with lots of practice it is easily doable. I plan on taking lots of time with the CFI and working on calm / light wind days and building up to more challenging conditions.

I would say that if you really want the TW airplane but don't have experience, get out there with a good plane and good CFI and see what it is all about. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I certainly was!

Thomas
-8 wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Cool!

Well, I would say that the majority of people here are like myself. We are SUPERPILOTS!

:lol:

Seriously, though... I agree. The tailwheel airplane is just another type of aircraft. It is the "traditional" configuration and if the pilots of old could do it, so can we.

I was just in the shower this morning wondering how long it has been since I was flying the Citabria. I gotta since before OSH!

The last TW landing I logged was in Ken's RV-7 up in Maine and it truly is like riding a bicycle! The stuff you just don't forget and it becomes an innate part of your nosedragger landings as well!

I can deinately say that the TW training has made ME a better pilot. Maybe not a superpilot though!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Excellent information. Im going to move this one to the other forum since it seems to be aimed at those trying to decide what it is they want. Keep it comming !

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Hangar Queen no more!!!! Congrats on finally getting to fly your 170 Thomas. Now get that tailwheel endorsement and fly that baby out to CO.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I will! But with the climb prop she ain't all that speedy - maybe 95kts.

Sure does get up and go - ground roll of several hundred feet and climbs at 1200+ FPM.

I guess that will help with the higher DA in CO this summer...

T.

Andy G
Class E

Post by Andy G »

I've been training in the Citabria the past two weeks. I gotta be honest, it has been an eye-opening experience. Some of my flights have been good, some not so good. Yesterday I tried flying it from the back. This really helped me out. You can really feel the CG start to shift (more so than in the front seat). Today, I'll move to the front seat again.

I will complete my endorsement however, I have decided to build the 7A, just my preference. :beer:
www.vxclimb.blogspot.com
Life is short...have fun

hngrflyr
Class E

Post by hngrflyr »

The first thing you will find when you fly a tail wheel RV is they have more "P" factor during take off and climb than most any production airplane you'll likely encounter. It simply requires that you pay attention and make the appropriate corrections in a timely manner. The other side of this is, the rudder and tail wheel steering have lots of authority. The airplane will do what you ask of it.
Even the 160 hp RV's will accelerate faster than most production airplanes. On my first few flights in my 160 hp RV-6, I thought I had a tiger by the tail, but after a while I wanted more power. I have perhaps 3500 hours in Cessna 120s and 140s, and numerous other tail wheel airplanes. At this point, I have about 150 hours in my RV-6. I'd say now, the Cessna is over all, a more demanding tail wheel airplane, but again, it's apples and oranges. Its just not the same thing. My old Cessna is like an old shoe, and the RV-6 is a pure delight to fly.

Bob Severns

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

hngrflyr wrote:The first thing you will find when you fly a tail wheel RV is they have more "P" factor during take off and climb
Definitely true.

One way to help with this is smooth / gradual power application... even in the 170 yesterday I took my time feeding in the power so I could get used to the changes as the plane and engine accelerated. I'm sure if I had poured the coals to it things would have been different - and even more so in an RV!

T.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Always apply the throttle like you squeeze a syringe.

Slowly and smoooooth!

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!