7 or 8, A or not?

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

One of them has an angle valve IO360 and CS. The 9 has a O320 , not sure on the other 7.
Anyway I just thought it was time to punch your button! :mrgreen:
Dan

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hahaha,

I appreciate it!

The reason I am planning a 390 is for climb performance anyways.

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

avaviat,

OK, I get you now with the aerobatics. I'm new at this and I do appreciate you spelling it out for me.
Honestly, right now I can't see me doing aerobatics much if at all. But then again, I 've never done any. I am just trying to keep my options open so that if in fact some day I want to start I have the capability. No sense pidgeonholing myself right? :)

So with weight considerations sort of covered, all that is left is actually sitting in the cockpits and trying the planes on for size. Sun-n-fun here I come :)
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

[quote="captain_john"]Hahaha,

I appreciate it!

The reason I am planning a 390 is for climb performance anyways.

Last week the temp was about 20 deg. F and I flew off our 3600 ft. strip(elev. 1956 ft.). I kept the tail down and was airborne in about 300 ft, and climbed out at 80 kts indicated. At the end of the strip my altitude was about 1,000 ft agl. That's not too shabby! The lighter weight of the IO360 makes it perform great and go fast! My thoughts were the bigger engine equals more weight and the end results equals only burning more fuel. Bart at Aero Sport Power says that his IO 360 parellel valve puts out about 195 hp on the dyno and the angle valve 200 h.p. turns out about 195 to 200 h.p.
I guess it's all how a person wants to spend his money! 8)
Dan

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

The lighter weight of the IO-360 is no more than 10 pounds.

I WILL climb better.

8) CJ
RV-7

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I'm taking a different tack on this and may be all wet but I'm going with an IO-360 Fixed pitch (how's that for rare). At first I was only interested in a 320 but decided on a 360 when comparing weight to power numbers. All of this aside, my main reason for doing what I'm doing is not for climb or cruise speed. My thinking is along the 65%-85% power range, the lower RPM, prop efficiency and what will be happening with fuel use. That's where my considerations are focused but I know I'll be able to slam it to the wall and go pretty fast. Not trying to change anyone's mind to another way of thinking here. Just stating where I am in my journey.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Jim, I think you have made a good choice!

A fixed pitch will reap most of the speed and is a good comprimise between power and economy.

:) CJ
RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

i definately agree with your choice as well jim. if i go with a lyc, i'm planning an FP prop as well whether it's carbed or injected...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

From my cost/benefit analysis I agree that a C/S is the wrong way to go.

I am doing a C/S because I WANT ONE!

I am building the plane of my dreams. Damn the torpedoes!

:wink: CJ
RV-7

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Well John, I think that's a good enough reason to go with C/S.

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

Hey CJ ->

Our Minnesota Wing of Van's Air Force is having our next meeting on March 11 and Dick Martin from Green Bay is bringing his IO-390 equiped RV-8. I'll plan to ask him what he likes or dislikes about the IO-390 vs. the 360. (you know I'm with you on the IO-390!)

Anything you want me to run by him? Heat? Weight? Tuning?

Let me know and I'll repot back.

- Peter

PS - He has done MANY speed mods and is flying around the 230 mph mark. That's what he's coming in to show / talk about.
Peter Fruehling
RV-7 Wings -> QB Fuse in the shop!
North Oaks, MN -> Home Base (KMIC)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Peter,

Cool! Nope, just tell him I said hello. He probably has no I dea who I am, but I chatted with him out at OSH next to his plane for a bit. I got my questions answered then for at least the time being.

I know that thing really cooks! Personally, I don't think the James cowl is something I would do. I really do like his aluminum emp tips, though!!!

Have fun at the meeting and take some pictures of the planes for us!

:) CJ
RV-7

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

captain_john wrote:The lighter weight of the IO-360 is no more than 10 pounds.

I WILL climb better.

8) CJ
CJ, just for your info. my empty weight came out at 1,100 lb. And my C.S. prop is a WW 200RV.
Dan

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Cool! Looks like I can plan on 1,110 lbs!

...and still climbing better!

RV-7

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

We may have a fly off!! :lol:
Dan

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

RV-7

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

PK,

Haven't checked this forum for a while and just ran across this thread. I can't give you any useful feedback about the weight issues, but I went through the 7 vs 9 agony myself. Like you, I wanted aerobatic capability, but, I too was worried about my ability to fly a 7. Finally got a test flight in a 6, and it was duck soup. This plane is so rock solid and easy to fly it's unbelievable. Don't think for a second that the 7 or 8 will be too squirrely for an inexperienced pilot!

As far as the nosewheel, let the macho men scoff and snicker if they will. Groundloops and other bad manners don't inflate my ego any. The tricycle configuration is a substantial engineering improvement, period.

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

Thanks prestwich, but did you get permission from the hijackers to bring this thread back on topic? :wtf: :D
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

aerial
Class E

Post by aerial »

If I were you. I would probably build a RV-8 taildragger. I have a friend with an 8 and there is a lot of room in the front seat. I think for 300lbs. the front seat would be nice. The gentleman is 6-3" and 225 and he has no problem. O-360 with C/S hartzell and with that combo he puts a 5 gallon water container (half full) in the rear compartment for ballast when solo. Meaning if you weigh 75 lbs. more it would probably be perfect solo.

I would do the taildragger cuz you can always rent a tricycle. :good job:

p.s. You might try sitting in a 7 next to someone, it might be a little tight. I know the 6's are not that big. I enjoyed reading your flight training threads on your blog. Sounds like you are having a pretty good time.
Duane Cole T-cart 0-320 Full Inverted

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

I'm heading down to Florida for a two day tour of Sun n Fun. I plan on speaking with lots of Mfgs, and sitting in as many planes as they'll let me crawl into. Of course I'll have the camera, so I'll be sure to make some sort of report out of it.

The more I think about it, the less I want the center wheel behind me. I think I'll put it up front where it belongs.

:D
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com