Interior room

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
ms12varner
Class G

Interior room

Post by ms12varner »

I am trying to decide between the 8A or the 7A. I am 6'5" 220lbs. my wife is 5'1" (cant put the weight in :mrgreen: ). I have flown in the 6 demo plane w/Ken Scott it was a little tight. I sat in the 8A at the factory & had lots of room. Problem is I prefer the side by side and so does my wife, but the 6 would have just been to tight for me (one of the reasons I haven't started building yet). How much more room is there in the 7? My head touches the the ceiling in a Bonanza, very uncomfortable.

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

MS12 -

I think you're going to have to do the $30,000 demo ride at Van's to know for sure if the 7 will give you the room you'll need. I am yet to sit in any of them yet or I would offer my opinion.

My wife and I are headed out to Van's in April to do just that. The issue for us is the opposite...she's 5'2", I'm 5'9" and together the two of us weigh 240 lbs.

I suggest trying them for your self even though Van's claims you'll fit just fine in a 7!

- Peter

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I am gonna go out on the limb and say, Just get the -8. If I was your height, I would. I am barely 6' tall and my wife is 5' 2". Together we weigh no more than 330 lbs and I dare say the -7 is just right for us.

Hope this helps.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

N200PF wrote:MS12 -

I think you're going to have to do the $30,000 demo ride at Van's to know for sure if the 7 will give you the room you'll need. I am yet to sit in any of them yet or I would offer my opinion.

My wife and I are headed out to Van's in April to do just that. The issue for us is the opposite...she's 5'2", I'm 5'9" and together the two of us weigh 240 lbs.

I suggest trying them for your self even though Van's claims you'll fit just fine in a 7!

- Peter
Together you weigh 240 lbs? That means you are about 130 - 140 lbs alone? Is that right?

:? CJ
RV-7

RV6junkie
Class G

Post by RV6junkie »

I'm 6'1" and 190ish pounds. I fit in my -6 very well, but my brother at 6'4", 220 pounds does not. It's not so much the height and weight...it's the girth of his legs. He can't get anything near 1/2 deflection (left to right) on the control stick. I can't tell you how many big bubbas I have gotten into the airplane only to tell them (in a nice way) "you can't go".

The -8 would be much better in this regard. Of course, the 10 would be even better!
Gary
RV-6
Started 1989
Completed/Flown 1995

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

CJ -

Yeah you got me, I am 5'9" and almost 140.

It's great because we can fly just about anything with more baggage than we need... The downside is we ALWAYS have to bring BOOSTER SEATS when flying with other people so we can SEE! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I sit up VERY high in our Arrow and now that you mention it...are the seats adjustable in the Van's Kits or just the peddles? ...or can they be built higher than the plans call for?

- Peter

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Peter,

I am sure you can rig the pedals and seats for a better ergonomic layout!

You must really enjoy the added payload ability!

I lost about 50 lbs over the course of the past 6 years and am thrilled with the lighter payload and rate of climb I have gained!

:) CJ
RV-7

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

Dont you just love the fact that we are talking about losing weight and the gains we get in aircraft performance and not the fact that we are healthier and might live an extra 10-20 years becuase of a better lifestyle?

I just love 'US'. we are so caught up in this stuff.. Can't get enough I say.

'need more performance...........I know, I'll lose some wieght. Then she will go like a bat outa hell'

:lmao: :rofl: :popcorn:
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

jamie
Class G

Post by jamie »

There is a fairly substantial difference in the room available in the 6 and 7/9. I saw a big, big boy (maybe 6'5", 270 lbs) sit in a -6A and he couldn't even close the canopy. I saw the same guy later sit in a 9 (same fuselage as the 7) and he not only closed the canopy, but had a suprising amount of room.

One thing that actually helps to make the airplane more comfortable is putting an armrest between the seats. I've flown quite a bit now in a friend's -6A and it's fairly comfortable. He left me left seat from Georgia to West Virginia and back and we were comfortable the entire time. I'm 6', about 215 and he's about 5'10 and much lighter than I am.

Oh yeah...here are some photos of that trip if you're interested.
http://www.jpainter.org/gallery/wvairshow

I would agree though that the 8 is probably a bit better for the bigger Bubbas. If I were any larger I would seriously consider the 8.
Jamie D. Painter
RV-7 Wings N622JP (reserved)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Interesting conversation. I cant believe that Im going to put this on the net but I run about 6'1" and 265lbs. Sitting in the 9A I found myself fairly comfortable (for a utility type interior). I didnt find anything objectional really. The spot that felt least comfy though was the left arm agains the fuse. Oh well, its less cramped than my 172.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

To answer the question of whether the seats are adjustable or not. Yes they are. The back is adjustable forward and back by the use of two piano hinges mounted laterally fore and aft on the seat bottom about two inches apart. Remove the hinge pin move the seat back to the next hinge line and replace. The top of the seat back has an aluminum flap that folds up in order to support the seat back in the forward position. Or down for the rearward position. The peddles on vans aircraft (his 9) has a pin that allows the peddles to be moved likewise fore and aft.

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GOOD STUFF SNAP & CJ! ...and congratulations on the increased climb performance CJ!!! You did it the right way!

...and thanks Jim for getting us back on topic! I'll have to review the sample plans on the seats to see what I'll be "up against"!

Is anyone flying anywhere for Thanksgiving? I am about to DRIVE (I hate that word) 360 miles based on weather. :bang:

- Peter