Big guy not gonna fit in a 7

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
BrickPilot
Class E

Big guy not gonna fit in a 7

Post by BrickPilot »

I had the opportunity a couple of days ago to sit in another builder's partially completed 9A. I weigh about 300# at 6'1", and quite a bit is around my middle. After I got in, we both started laughing. I was leaned over nearly 1/3 of the way into the passenger section, and the stick wouldn't move all the way back. It was impinging on the belly and... uh, other things (said in a high pitched voice).

So, I'm losing weight. Even when I drop 100# (entirely doable), I would imagine that the 7 is still going to be a squeeze. What do you folks recommend for a big guy? 8? F1 Rocket?
Last edited by BrickPilot on Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I am 193#. I used to be 240#! That was ALOT for 5'11".

I have been down to 180#.

When I was 180#, everything fit me well. I don't want to get any larger than I am right now. In fact, I am still working on getting down into the 180's again.

Anywho... it is bad to be heavy and a pilot. It comes right out of useful load and performance. I wouldn't even consider the -7 if I were over 200# and plan to fly in the winter. The additional clothing adds girth.

If you think that you may end up in the mid 200's, I would change to an-8. The -8 is the plane of choice for fat men everywhere!

:lol:

I figure I should get a few knocks for that last sentence!

How far along are you with the -7 stuff?

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

BrickPilot
Class E

Post by BrickPilot »

captain_john wrote:How far along are you with the -7 stuff?
My shop is still being built. I have tools and preview plans, but that's the extent of it. I'm in a good place to make a course correction right now.

My wife has knee issues, if she cannot stretch her legs a bit, she'd be very uncomfortable. I don't know much about the geometry of the -8's, do they allow the passenger to stretch out a bit? (I won't be adding passenger foot controls.)
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

The -8 allows for lots of forward legroom.

Depending on what exactly ails your wife, she may or may not like the -8. I say this because when you are seated in the rear hole of the -8, you cannot move your knees much at all... laterally. You can bend them at the knees front to back. Knowwahttamean?

She should sit in one and go for a ride if possible.

8) CJ
RV-7

aparchment
Class C

size matters

Post by aparchment »

I am 225 and 5' 11" -- also not good. My ideal weight is also about 180, but I digress.

Fitting in a 7 by myself is not a problem at all in terms of stick travel. I suppose for acrobatics I might want full side stick deflection, but I am pretty much there now.

Fitting in a 7 in winter wearing jackets is also doable, but it's pretty tight. My friend Ken and I end up sitting at a slight (very) angle. It's perfectly comfortable for flights of under an hour and a half.

I don't find myself running out of rear end or belly room, its shoulder room that's a problem. But that's pretty much the norm for me in any plane except the RV 10, Cirrus or 4 seat Lancairs. I look at this from the perspective that I expect space constraints when I get into a sports car with someone, but I don't expect that when I hop into my sedan.

Antony

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Im a big guy also ~240lbs / 6' 1" (down 41 lbs and still going though). I sit in the back of my friends 8 and find it to be comfy. More so than my 172. Lots of leg room as mentioned above. Im building a 9A and when sitting in it with my wife have found that it works for us.

If you lose some of the poundage I think you could make an RV fit. The 8 definately should work. One of our members here decided that the RV's wouldn't fit for some of the same reasons and is scratch building a bear hawk. Looks like a neat plane to boot.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Right now it may seem crazy but I know that I won't fit comforably in my 7 with a passenger but I am building anyway. It is great motivation to loose weight. Once I get the fuse to a point where I can sit in it, it will become even more motivating. I have been known to drop huge numbers of pounds before but I never had a great motivator to keep it off. Now I have one, that and the fear of loosing my medical for overweight symptoms (high BP, heart disease, diabetes etc.)...... You guys that can pig out daily and never gain a pound have it good, real good. :cry:
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Brantel,

Just rig it up so you sit in the middle and work the left rudder with your left foot and the passenger's right rudder with your right foot!

Kinda like a big RV-3!

:P CJ
RV-7

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

I'm bigger than I oughta be for a -7 builder myself.... however, I've gone for a ride in a -6, and it was a little tight but not horrible. I understand the -7 is a tad roomier than the -6. Honestly, the biggest problem that I had was that my head hit the ceiling, and I know that can be adjusted by changing seat cushion thickness...

my biggest problem is that I'm DENSE, I weigh a lot more than I should for my size. I'm about the size of someone that's 5'11", 220lb, but I weigh 265. Not so bad on fitment, but horrible for W&B :)
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

BrickPilot
Class E

Post by BrickPilot »

Spike wrote:The 8 definately should work. One of our members here decided that the RV's wouldn't fit for some of the same reasons and is scratch building a bear hawk. Looks like a neat plane to boot.
I was considering a Bearhawk, still am for plane #2 (dreamin). I sold my Skylane for several reasons, primarily financial (needed the cash for home improvements incl. the RV shop), but another reason is because I want to go FAST and occasionlly upside down. :) Can't do that in either 'hawk.

So, I've decided not to decide just yet. I'm going to go to OSH and examine the planes up close. Maybe I'll get a chance to have a seat in an 8 and try one on for size. Who knows. It was actually the model I wanted to build first, before I talked to my wife. (Wanted to be closer to me, not talking to the back of my head.) Well, that got trumped by my 9A experience the other day. :)

Anyway, all good suggestions and info. I really liked the idea of coverting a 7 into a 3X. :)
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Talk to Keith Salisbury, aka 'Papakeith' on here...he's got a good start on his Bearhawk... 8) RV's are cool, but you don't have to build one to be a Rivetbanger! Bearhawks are sweet!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Sounds like we have our share of x-large guys here on RB. I'm 6' 3" and weigh in at around 230. I have flown in a 6 and 7 and an 8 and all seemed to be roomy enough for me. I am pretty skinny through the hips for my size so maybe that helps.

I prefer the side by side personally. When in the back of the 8 I feel like I do on the Interstate stuck behind a semi. I just can't get a good view of where I am going.

The best way to make an RV seem bigger is to go for a ride in a Sonex. They are nice airplanes but a little tight when you have 2 - 200 pounders in there. (If any Sonex owners read this, nothing against your airplane, I'm just a little to tall for it.) After a ride in one of them the RV feels like a true RV. :mrgreen:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

What's with all the fat boys building RV-7s?? You can add me to the list. :lol:
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I guess I'm the odd man out ... 5'10, 150# (after a big meal).

And yes, I'm one of those guys that can eat whatever / whenever and not gain weight - even if I want to. It will catch up to me sooner or later... :)

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

BrickPilot
Class E

Post by BrickPilot »

tshort wrote:I'm one of those guys that can eat whatever / whenever and not gain weight - even if I want to. It will catch up to me sooner or later... :)
Monkey pile on the little guy! :evil:
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

tshort wrote:It will catch up to me sooner or later... :)
Preferably overnight.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cnpeters
Class E

Post by cnpeters »

I found there was only one way to look thin - hang out with fatter people. (Dangerfield)
Jeff - Van's will have most, if not all their a/c out at OSH. People climb in them all day. At 6'2" and 225, I was a bit nervous on the -9 (mostly with height), but checking out Van's a/c and riding in another one showed no issues. You seem partial to the RV's - I recommend forging ahead and building one, including a side by side if desired, and using this as an incentive drop the Bubba size. Having seen so many patients yo-yo with their weights, the finished plane would also be helpful as an incentive to keep your pounds off. DO IT, MAN!
Carl Peters
RV-9A
N92RV (reserved)
Fuselage
http://www.mykitlog.com/cnpeters/

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

I'm 5'11" and 260# (Yea, I know another fat one) and have no problem in the back of my friend's 8. I have flown in the passenger seat of a 7 and while a bit cramped, it was flyable, but I wouldn't want to do it for a long trip. I think that the 8 is the best choice for anyone over about 180#, unless you only carry small passengers.
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

BrickPilot
Class E

An 8A it is, most likely...

Post by BrickPilot »

An 8A it is, most likely... although if I were prepared to make some significant compromises :o then I might consider a different beast altogether. The Zenair CH 640 has cabin specs better than my old Skylane, and has a pretty stout nose gear, seemingly can handle a grass/dirt field more reasonably than an RV -A model. It has pretty much the same performance in speed/climb/payload as a Skylane, but with much less fuel burn. Zenair seems like a fairly stable outfit too.

That said, the 640 doesn't hold a candle to an RV as far as speed and total performance. And the idea of all the structural rivets being pop rivets... well... I guess that's okay for a normal category airplane (??), but then there's no rivet banging! :?

:dunno: :bang:

I suppose I'll just stick with my plan to keep an open mind as I prepare for the big show.
Last edited by BrickPilot on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Jeff, a friend of mine (BIG guy!) is building a CH640 here in town. I've visited the project several times, and it's a neat airplane!

However...like you said, it won't hold a candle to the 8/8A...Keep it RV! :evil: 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com