Big guy not gonna fit in a 7

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

Good Lord! Talk about being late to a party! :) This thread has been dead for a while, not really sure how I missed it, but I'll add my .02 anyway.

I'm just shy of 300lbs. and 75" tall. When I started looking for a plane to build I too was looking at the RV series. At the time I was hovering right around 350. I was pretty much set on an 8 or a 7, then I sat in them. Talk about trying to stuff 10 lbs of"stuff" in a 5 lb bag! I was disappointed, but I am what I am. It just wasn't going to happen.

Then I found the Bearhawk.

Fairly roomy, lots o load capacity, and just enough speed to make it interesting :)

Oh, and as to this line:
but another reason is because I want to go FAST and occasionlly upside down. Smile Can't do that in either 'hawk.
Some time last year, the 'Hawk' was approved by the designer for loops and rolls if the weight is under 2k.
:o :mrgreen:
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

duncan_e
Class G

Post by duncan_e »

Now this is what I like about this site: it can always make you feel good about yourself.

I'm 6'2 and 200lbs - big by UK standards but positively a pixie compared with you guys. Yay.

And I'm visiting Vans in....4 weeks.....to make the big decision.

Duncan

BrickPilot
Class E

Perhaps a Hawk... perhaps not

Post by BrickPilot »

I'm just about done with the shop, in fact I'm bolting down the compressor and installing the air system between Thursday and Saturday this week.... so I'm just about ready to pull the trigger.

I'd like to see the statement regarding the designer approval for the gentleman's aerobatics. Didn't see that on the website. That sorta makes my decision a little harder - I still haven't decided between the Bearhawk and the RV-8A, but leaning heavily (because I lean like that) towards the RV. Mostly because the RV is such a staple - there's SO much support out there for it - and because it's so freakin cool.

But, I loved my Skylane and wouldn't mind having another SUV of the sky again.
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

Sorry I muddied the waters for you :) :evil:
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

jeff,
I was just reading your post of last summer. I have an 8 and find there is plenty of room in the back seat. If you do not put in the rear pedals the passenger can streach out quite well. One of my friends here built an 8 sith the tall pilot option. he was about 6'5" and 250 lb.
Dan N742DA