Paint job

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
svanarts
Air Marshall

Paint job

Post by svanarts »

Okay, I'm nowhere near close to painting my plane but planning color schemes is one of the things I like to do. So I'm looking for constructive criticism on this paint scheme. My wife wanted something bright and happy. So I decided to go for a kind of 50's retro scheme. You have to use your imagination a bit. The grey strip on the side will actually be a stripe of polished aluminum to simulate chrome.

What do you think?

Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I LOVE it! I'm all for retro paint scheme's! I actually do like the pale yellow color. Got my vote Scott!

8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I like the scheme. My only thought would be to make sure the yellow isn't that pale.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

That side of my brain isn't well exercised, so anything beyond plain white looks good to me. I like the idea of the polished stripe, your plane will wink at people as the sun reflects off it. I also admit I'm not a fan of really pale yellow, but it could be my screen.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I'll have to work on the yellow a little admitedly. I just don't want a lemon yellow. Ick. I need to find some pictures of some classic 50's cars in their original livery, especially that have any yellow on them. If anyone has any good sources for these kinds of pics, let me know.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

I like most of it. As others have said, the yellow isn't quite right. I do like the lines that the major colors make though, and I dig the checkerboard rudder.

I'm not sold on the gray for the stripe. I'd like to see a color that really makes the line pop.
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

duncan_e
Class G

Post by duncan_e »

If you are looking for some inspiration on 50's retro try checking out he italian motorcycle clothing designers. They are hot on 50 to 70's retro right now and the colour combinations they use look fantastic (to me anyway). If you're interested I'll look out some websites when I get a chance.

Duncan

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

papakeith wrote:I like most of it. As others have said, the yellow isn't quite right. I do like the lines that the major colors make though, and I dig the checkerboard rudder.

I'm not sold on the gray for the stripe. I'd like to see a color that really makes the line pop.
Grey = polished aluminum to simulate chrome. I don't want grey either. :)
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

any pinstripe to set off the transition from yellow to chrome to white?
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

duncan_e wrote:If you are looking for some inspiration on 50's retro try checking out he italian motorcycle clothing designers. They are hot on 50 to 70's retro right now and the colour combinations they use look fantastic (to me anyway). If you're interested I'll look out some websites when I get a chance.

Duncan
Thanks Duncan. If you can suggest a site or two I'll 'av a butcher's.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I think it's a great looking paint scheme. I like Miata Yellow though.

jakec
Class G

Post by jakec »

Really like the idea of the polished aluminum stripe. I think it will look fantastic.

Here is a program called Cpickthat is free and may help you snag colors that you like from the internet. You can take colors from photos; just make sure it's a well lit portion without shadows. It captures the color as hex, decimal, RGB, and HSV values. I like it because I'm not very artistic but I know what I like when I see it.

Hope this helps in the search for the perfect color.
Jake Crause
Baghdad, Iraq
www.homebuiltairplanes.com