Where does the little wheel go??

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
rv8or
Class E

Where does the little wheel go??

Post by rv8or »

The time has come where I MUST make a decision on the -8 vs the -8A.

I have ZERO tail wheel experience, but have been leaning that way from the begining. Short list of pros/cons:

Pro:
Grove airfoil gear
a new challange to learn
better CG management
no step installation
looks great

Con:
no experince (risk, insurance rates?)
don't plan extensive soft field flying
Texas winds
less leg room (towers)
no experience

Aside form the normal/expected ribbing resulting from this post, I am looking for real experience, arguments, regrets, etc. I have heard some tailwheel builders wish they had gone the other way after flying for a while...haven't heard it the other way around. That's why I'm asking.

To avoid instigating a war--and to solicit your TRUE feelings, you can reply to me at jferraro16 at yahoo.com or via private message here. That way NOBODY will know how you really feel about your decsion, or the advice you give...and you won't have to face the knuckleheads around here who will certainly pile on!

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Ferraro
aka: "jferraro16"
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Thats easy, it goes where you want it. Really, don't make it more complicated that it needs to be :)
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Joe-

I was in the same predicament as you were when it came time to choose between a -7 or -7A. To make up my mind, while working on the wings, I did tailwheel training in a Citabria and got my endorsement. It costs me about $1,600 for the 10 hours of training needed to satisfy the insurance policy. After the 5th hour, everything "clicked" ans flying the TW was no biggie.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I will agree with Mike here Joe. I had ZERO TW time as well, even AFTER I chose to build the taildraggin' fuselage. I did my TW endorsement this past May in a J3, and LOVED it! It IS more of a challenge, but after a few hours, like Mike said, it 'clicks'. From then on, it's just a matter of staying current (which reminds me, I'm not) to stay confident in the skill set needed for a TW airplane.

I have also heard people say they have feelings of wishing they would've built the A after flying the TW they built. I think the reason people that build the A don't say they wish they'd built the TW version is because there is little to think about once on the ground in ANY nosewheel airplane (other than to position the ailerons for winds). In a TW, you fly it to the chocks, and I think that is where people start to think about the "ease" of taxiing an A model.

For the record, I've taxied/flown both models (flyers chime on in here...), and I've found challenges in both, and also feel that neither is a "big" challenge on the ground or landing.

FWIW... :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

You put down "No Experience" twice.

That really isn't an issue. Get some!

Besides, what do you want? Build what you like.

I like TD because not everyone can fly my plane. The ND, everyone can fly.

It adds a gee whiz factor to the plane.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

rv8or
Class E

Post by rv8or »

Yes, I threw that in there twice because that is truely the biggest "con" for me.

I agree with the "get some", and obviously, I will if I go tailwheel. BUT, I've been around this stuff long enough, and been trained hard enough to know that 10 hours of dual does not an expert make, neither does 20 hours. Guess it's an old dog/new trick thing.

I will ultimately make my decision based upon what I want, but I think it's prudent to talk to the been there/done that group.

I definately like the "unique-ness" factor, CJ. That's going on my Pro list.

Joe
Joe Ferraro
aka: "jferraro16"
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

TomC
Class E

Post by TomC »

Another advantage of the tailwheel is ground steering. With an -A, steering is by differential braking. The tailwheel airplanes have a steerable tailwheel. I fly a -7A and hate it when I have to taxi from one end of the airport to the other. I worry about getting them too hot. If I have a brake failure in an -A, I will have to shut down where ever I am because steering will not be possible.

Good Luck,

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I owned and flew a Grumman TR-2 for over 5 years. It's pretty much the same as an RV-6A would be like when it comes to how it handles on the ground and during landing/take-off phases.

Still, I really really like the idea of building/flying a taildragger. But, I had the same concerns/questions as you have now. So, I decided like others here on the RB forum, to just go out and find an instructor and get some tail wheel time under my belt to see what all the fuss was about (if any).

I learned in a Citabria, which had heel brakes. I hated the heel brakes but that's another story. Anyway, I found that after getting my tailwheel endorsement, it was a no brainer for me that I was building an 8 with the small wheel in the back.

After I sold the Grumman, I went into a partnership on an RV-4. The 4 is much easier than a citabria to taxi, and it doesn't get kicked around in the crosswinds as much either. I can honestly say for me that after flying the RV-4 for a little over 2 years and 180 hours, I know I made the right choice in building an 8.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR