Fuselage QB or Standard?

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.

Fuselage QB or Standard?

Post by Guest »

I'm ready to order my -7A fuse. I really would rather have the QB, but I'm wondering how I would ever get that huge and heavy crate off the truck and into my garage without a forklift.

Any suggestions? I might go with the standard kit just because I know I can easily unload the smaller crates in my driveway.

Maybe driving to Van's (603 miles one-way) and renting a U-Haul would work. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bryon

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

If I wanted the QB fuse Id get the QB fuse. Try a rollback tow truck, or the rental idea is a good one. By getting the slow build kit youd be adding quite a bit of work just to get around the problem of getting the kit home.

-- spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

It sounds to me like there isn't a time concern for you if you would rather build the standard fuselage just to avoid getting the QB off the truck. Get the slow build and spend the extra $4000 on something else for the project.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

Wicked Stick
Class B

Re: Fuselage QB or Standard?

Post by Wicked Stick »

Anonymous wrote:I'm ready to order my -7A fuse. I really would rather have the QB, but I'm wondering how I would ever get that huge and heavy crate off the truck and into my garage without a forklift.

Any suggestions? I might go with the standard kit just because I know I can easily unload the smaller crates in my driveway.

Maybe driving to Van's (603 miles one-way) and renting a U-Haul would work. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bryon
Bryon,
If money is not the issue, then get the quick build. Then, all you need is a couple of six packs of beer and some friends to drink it after they help you unload it from the truck. You could also request a truck with a "drop gate". Having said that, the slow build 7 is about as easy as it gets for putting together a Van's slow build kit.

I would decide based on money, how much time you have to spend building, and if you plan on sending back the center spar parts to van's that came with your wing kit.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys.

Since money is not the issue, I am going to go QB. I will have at least 6 months to figure out the delivery details.

I am going to Portland Oregon via car later this week, so I will just stop by Aurora and drop off the fuselage bulkhead parts that came with the wing kit.

Bryon

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I’m a little bit lucky because I live pretty near the Van’s factory but I was told that when I pick my kit up they will load it into the truck crate less. It’s a quick build all I need to bring is a U-Haul and they will load it. All the parts ship in the fuselage and I can get it off the truck with the help of two other people, after getting the parts out of the fuselage of course. What I’m saying is that you could possibly unload the truck by opening the crate on the truck and taking it out piece by piece. Apparently the heaviest single part is only about 250 pounds.