RV4 for low time pilot?

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
ALL SMILES

RV-4 PRICE AND SKILL LEVEL

Post by ALL SMILES »

PURCHASED MY RV-4 EIGHTEEN MONTHS AGO FOR 37.5K FROM A PILOT IN SAN FRANCISCO, CA. HAD A PRE-BUY AND ANNUALBY AI PRIOR TO PICKING UP THE PLANE. I LIVE IN SAVANNAH, GA. NEVER HAD SAT IN AN RV LESS FLEW ONE. ORDERED VANS BOOK OF TWENTY-ONE YEARS OF RV NEWSLETTERS. READ IT THREE TIMES. IT IS THE RV BIBLE, IT IS ALL IN THIS BOOK. HOW THE RV FLYS, STUPID THINGS NOT TO DO, SPEEDS, PROCEDURES ETC. PICKED UP THE RV, GOT A RIDE IN THE BACK, WAS EQUIPED WITH REAR THROTLE/MIXTURE AND RUDDERS. THE AIRPLANE WAS NOT DESIGNED TO LAND FROM THE BACKSEAT. THE OWNER ONLY GAVE ME A RIDE AFTER I BOUGHT THE PLANE. HE GOT OUT OF THE PLANE AND I TOOK IT AROUND THE PATCH ,LANDED, FILLED IT UP WITH GAS, PUT MY BAGS IN THE BACK SEAT AND LEFT FOR GEORGIA. NO TROUBLE WITH THE FIRST LANDING OR FLIGHTS SINCE. HAVE FLOWN THE RV ABOUT 200HRS WITH NOTHING BUT SMILES. FLEW BACK FROM CA. IN ABOUT ELEVEN HOURS AND THREE DAYS NEVER LEAVING BEFORE NOON ON ANY DAY. VANS HAS IT ALL IN THE BOOK. WHAT AN INCREDABLE PLANE.

Jerry

$35k RV4

Post by Jerry »

I built my RV4. I would think something is wrong with one in that price range. I have 100 hrs or so in a Cessna 140. I have 370 in my RV4. You need tail wheel time! Getting started can be humbling! Then you grasp some things and its a lot of fun. I love tailwheel airplanes. The RV4 is a lot of airplane. It has speed and great response.

smokyray
Class G

Safe and sound?

Post by smokyray »

Congrats on choosing the RV4, you have chosen wisely! First and foremost, I have been flying my 4 for 1400 hours now and operate regularly out of a 950' grass strip, cruise at 157 knots and burn 8.5 GPH and get upside down every flight. It is absolutely an awesome little airplane. However comma, I would not recommend you jump into one until you have had a chance to ride in one in the back seat. Also, you need to show proficiency in tailwheel airplanes in 10-15 knot crosswinds(grass and concrete) and be shown how clean and quick the RV's will go through redline in unusual attitudes and acro. Other than that, you will love it! et me know, I'll take you up!

Smokey

ALL SMILES

JERRY/ CAN NOT BE MUCH OF A PLANE FOR $37.5

Post by ALL SMILES »

JERRY:

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD LET YOU KNOW MY 37.5K RV-4 IS STILL GOING STRONG. NOW USING ABOUT A QUART OF AEROSHELL 15W50 EVERY 18HOURS IN MY LYC 0320 E2D WITH 1600HRS SINCE NEW ENGINE. HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THE NEW MICHAEL VHF RADIO OR LORAN , GPS AND NARCO 155AT TRANSPONDER, INSTALLED IN AIRCRAFT WITH OTHER NEW FLIGHT INSTURMENTS. THE ELECTRIC TURN AND BANK IS SO GOOD I CAN FLY WITHOUT VISUAL REFERENCE TO THE HORIZON. ALL THIS AND A $1,400.00 GRI ENGINE MONITOR KIT STILL IN THE BOX PLUS A NEW CANOPY COVER AND LOTS OF ODDS AND ENDS CAME WITH THE PLANE. IE ELECTRIC FLAP KIT, EXTRA BRAKE PADS, FULL SWIVEL TAIL WHEEL, NEW ENGINE FUEL PUMP, EXTRA FUEL SELSECTOR, WING/TAIL LIGHT KIT, LANDING LIGHT WING TIP INSERTS

YOU ARE RIGHT; YOU BUILT YOUR AIRPLANE AND LABORED 2000PLUS HOURS, WHEN I PURCHASED A PERFECTLY GOOD 1997 200HOUR RV-4 FOR LESS THEN THE COST OF PARTS.

BUT THEN YOU HAD FUN BUILDING YOURS. WHO SAID LIFE IS FAIR!

hucker
Class G

Don't be affraid of RV's

Post by hucker »

I was a low time pilot when I bough my RV4. I had 25hrs of tail wheel time and 125 hrs total time in SEL AC. Never flown a CS prop before either. I thought the Cessna 170 was much more squirrely. RV's are fast and they don't like to slow down (even with the CSP) but it seemed to me that if I watched the ASI and kept it pegged at 80 I was fine for a nice landing.

If you are motivated, have respect for, but are not intimidated by RV's I think you'll be fine. Mike Seger comes highly recommended, though I have not flown with him.

Chuck