Avery Tools

A forum to report your experiences with vendors specific to the homebuilt community.
steveashby
Class G

Avery Tools

Post by steveashby »

This is my first post to RivetBangers, so please excuse me if I commit any unintentional faux pas. I purchased a pneumatic rivet squeezer from Avery tools last june. For some reason, it seemed to get a little puny and balked at squeezing 1/8 in. rivets recently. I called Bob Avery and he told me to send it back to him. I did, with a little note requesting that he speak sternly to the squeezer to make it straighten up and fly right. Not only did Bob fix the squeezer, he sent me this e-mail:

March 20, 2006
Dear Stephen:
I disassembled your squeezer and left him locked up overnight with all the loose parts in my squeezer parts bin. I threatened him with life without parole in the parts bin should he not straighten up & fly right. (It's quite easy to get that here in Texas -- it's called "cowboy justice" and all you need to get a conviction is to wear cowboy boots & a cowboy hat to court and present as exhibit "A" a 6 pack of longnecks !!).

The next day I cleaned up all the parts, polished a few key internal parts, re-greased all the bearings, and reassembled. Gave him a serious talking to and reminded him what fate awaits him should he return to Texas. I've had him squeeze a couple dozen 1/8" rivets and he seems to be doing just fine now. I've included a book for the purpose of reading him his rights, should he stray and start acting up again. He is on the way back to you today.

Regards;

Bob Avery

P.S. No charge -- all the other parts in the bin took up a collection to pay his fine -- seems they don't want him around since he is such a bad boy!!

Needless to say, it took me about 15 minutes to get up off the floor and stop laughing. As if I did not already know it, Bob Avery and his folks are top drawer. We are so blessed to have folks like him in the home building family.

As a side note, I have just finished both of my tanks on the 8A and am proceeding to skin the wings. I hope to order the fues kit at Sun-N-Fun. I also hope to see lots of RivetBangers there.
Steve Ashby

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Thanx for the note and welcome to the group! :welcome: Ill move this over to the Vendor forums. We put customer service reports over there to help keep track of the good guys and the bad guys. Thanx again and welcome!!

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

:lmao:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Steve, Welcome aboard!

No Foe Paws here! We sorta fly by the seat of our pants in this neck of the web!

Looking forward to meeting you at OSH 2007, as I am not planning on attending this year.

Maybe we can eat a couple of 40 ounce steaks together? (long, inside story)

Keep up the riveting and check in often!

:wave: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

captain_john wrote:Looking forward to meeting you at OSH 2007, as I am not planning on attending this year.

Maybe we can eat a couple of 40 ounce steaks together? (long, inside story)

:wave: CJ
WHAT! :o i've been looking forward to challenging the steak champs!! not gonna be there? :cry: wazzup widat?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Doin an every other year thing for the time being. Need to get "time on building" if this thing is gonna get done. I am planning on doing OSH every odd year until it is done.

I wish that I could work on my ailerons tonight, but I have to do another electrical job. Well, at least it is a quick couple ah few hunnert bux (cash)!!!

Ohhhhhh, the things we do for money.

:cry: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

BuckWynd
Class G

Post by BuckWynd »

To follow up on Avery Tools and their great service:

For the last year or so, my trusty Avery 2X rivet gun has been tending to run continuously when an air line is connected to it, making sort of a low "chug-chug-chug" sound. I sent it to Avery for a look-see.

Bob repaired it, cleaned it, and sent it back in less than a week, with a nice note and the words "No Charge" written on the bottom.

Now THAT's service. Needless to say I'm very, very impressed with the way Avery does business, and I'll be ordering a lot more stuff from them.

:)

Buck Wyndham
RV-8 N18XL (Reserved)
Hanging the flaps...

rv8or
Class E

Post by rv8or »

Absolutely agree.

I am lucky to be able to drive over to Avery's in about 35 minutes. I've got to be really hard pressed to buy my tools anywhere else!

Joe
Joe Ferraro
aka: "jferraro16"
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Welcome to the friendly forums Steve. We can be frustratingly friendly and often times off-topic but you'll become like us if you hang out here long enough.

I've had pretty good experiences with Avery. They are one of the bigger supply houses and you pretty much can't go wrong with them.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

Just for posterity sake, Avery Tools is closing up shop as of 12/15/2015.

I put in my last order this week for just a few more of their excellent products before they turn the lights out. I'm glad I bought my RV tool kit from them.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P