Carbon Fiber Canopy- Buyer Beware!

A forum to report your experiences with vendors specific to the homebuilt community.
Oldgeezer
Class G

Carbon Fiber Canopy- Buyer Beware!

Post by Oldgeezer »

Regretfully, I am writing this post to warn other potential buyers of the scam and deceitfulness being promoted by Charles Wilhite, Owner of Gamut Services and his Carbon Fiber Canopy for RV aircraft.
I purchased a carbon fiber canopy from Gamut services in July of 2006, thru a written contract with Mr. Wilhite. After sending the initial deposit, I recieved an email saying to send the remainder and my canopy would be shipped in 10 days, that was seven months ago and with several promises later, still no canopy. Now Mr. Wilhite refuses to make contact with me and refund my $3400. Over the past three months, I have called his house and business a dozen times, sent emails ,a fax and a registered letter asking for a refund and still no response. I have patiently waited and given him ample time to complete my canopy, but now I have become painfully aware, that he is a dishonest person and has no intentions of honoring the contract.
I have learned that he has sold 13 or more of these canopies with only two probable deliveries. At $3400 each, that is close to $40,000 of our money ripped off. Plus the unknown number of RV-8 baggage doors not delivered.
The RV and aircraft building community cannot tolerate this dishonesty. If you are one of the individuals that has been ripped off by Mr. Wilhite. Then contact me at my email address: Oldgeezer01@msn.com and lets join forces and get our money back. Another Gentleman has given me information he used to get a refund from Gamut Services.
Ron
RV-9
frustrated and behind schedule

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune and trouble with this guy.
Thanks for posting so others won't fall into the same trap.

I hope you recover your money in the end.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

Sorry to hear about that Ron!!!

One approach that I took in a similar situation was to involve the Police instead of lawyers. We had a person take a deposit on a construction job at our house last year and "go dark" on us (not return calls) in a similar manor. I had a written contract and receipt for the payment so I went to the police and said he flat out stole this money. They pushed back and said it was a civil matter but I proved to them that his refusal to communicate now classified it as a crime. (if he was communicating, it would just be bad business and classed as a civil case)

Well the call from the police prompted action and we got it resolved. We also found out that he is currently on probation for FRAUD!!!

...just thought I would share and hope you get your $$ back!

- Peter
Peter Fruehling
RV-7 Wings -> QB Fuse in the shop!
North Oaks, MN -> Home Base (KMIC)

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Sorry to hear about your troubles. On another note though, could someone shed some light on just what a carbon fiber canopy is? I know what a canopy is and I know what carbon fiber is. I just don't get how carbon fiber can be made into a canopy. I must be way behind the times.

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Maybe it's the canopy frame? I'm curious too!

:?:
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

WOW, Ron! $3400! :o I'd be PI$$ED, as I'm sure you are! I wish you the best in getting this behind you.

I see that your post was removed "over there". :roll:

Let us know if we can help in any way.
:(
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

This is the guy's link:

http://www.missionmedia.org/canopy.html

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

smithhb
Class D

Post by smithhb »

captain_john wrote:This is the guy's link:

http://www.missionmedia.org/canopy.html

8) CJ
CJ, that is NOT the link to Mr. Wilhite...That is the link to Bob Kelly's website. He was an early customer and is a really nice guy. He knows Charles and is as baffled as everyone as to why he will not return calls.

The website for Gamut Services is http://www.gamutservices.biz

I REALLY hope he can get his act together...or someone else will step up to the plate and produce these canopies. They are a HUGE improvement over Van's design and the price is really reasonable.
Bret Smith
9A Flying (N16BL)
Blue Ridge, GA
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
APRS Tracking: http://www.flightinnovations.com/tracking.html

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Ahhh, I see!

Well, it is most unfortunate really. It seems that everyone in this RV business is so "stand up" when you hear something contrary it is really remarkable.

:oops: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cnpeters
Class E

Post by cnpeters »

Following up on the erroneus Bob Kelly/missionmedia link above, I wrote him regarding the status on these canopies, and he said they are currently not being produced and didn't offer further info.
Carl Peters
RV-9A
N92RV (reserved)
Fuselage
http://www.mykitlog.com/cnpeters/

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Sure would be nice if they put something up on the website to that regard. :notcool:
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Oldgeezer
Class G

Gamut Services- Carbon Fiber Canopy

Post by Oldgeezer »

Today, I have contacted an Attorney and initiated legal action against Gamut Services and it's owner Charles Wilhite for fraud. As previously posted, myself and five other builders I know of ,have been ripped off by Charles Wilhite, to the tune of thousands of dollars for a carbon fiber canopy system never delivered. I am posting this information to warn others to prevent them from falling victim to his scam and deceitfullness.
As far as I know, his web site: Gamutservices.biz has been shut down. He won't answer his telephone or emails and has gone into hiding. Now it is time for the law to deal with him.
We in the RV community cannot tolerate this dishonesty and if this individual resurfaces in another business, I hope others will remember my warning.
If you are one of the 13 that has been defrauded by Gamut Services, and wish to join myself and the five others in a class action suit, then contact me for details.
:x Ron