GRT Service!!

A forum to report your experiences with vendors specific to the homebuilt community.
stanman
Class G
Location: 2123 Liberty...1 Lennie Av. Main Beach..Southport. 4217. Queensland.. australia

GRT Service!!

Post by stanman »

g.day to all.....We recently experienced a flood at our airport...16 inches of rain over 7 hours...the local creek...normally 20 ft. wide at the bottom of a deep ravine ..flooded over the nearby farms and spilled 2ft. deep into my hanger...lots of drama...many wet parts....including my GRT AHRS and Magnetometer...stored in an old fridge...which turned turtle and floated around hanger....I cannot speak highly enough of the GRT people....who within 2 days of my FED EXing the parts to them in Michigan( from Queensland...Australia..!!)..emailed me back...saying parts received...checked....all O.K....new software loaded!!...being returned!!...in fact they were in transit before I.d even paid them!!.....and the charge...a token $10..to keep Customs happy!!..wonderful support!....rgds to all...stanman RV8...Avionics...wiring...etc
stanman...rv8...fuselage

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

That is excellent to hear. Its nice to know that many of the experimental companies care about their customer base.
Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Wow, thats awesome. How did everyone/everything else survive the rain?
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

stanman
Class G
Location: 2123 Liberty...1 Lennie Av. Main Beach..Southport. 4217. Queensland.. australia

re GRT....Flooded Hanger etc..

Post by stanman »

RE the flood.......the local Chapter 19 Engineer ...came out with me the following day...we determined that water got to the bottom of of the engine...new ..sitting in crate...approx. 15 inches off floor...none got into cyclinders..sump..engine cleaned...sprayed...... some water got into the air side of the Precision Fuel servo...none got into the fuel side....rushed the servo off to an engineering shop for full evaluation and testing...all good!...some water up to 809 bulkhead of a/c..RV8 T/W....a/c has been alodined and primed with milspec30..Y..94...engineer assure me no problems here......lots of tools...clecos...an bolts...part from f/foreward wet....everthing cleaned dried...and sprayed ...worst part was lots of plastic bags containing instructions (and parts etc) were wet ..with the instruction/plans all destroyed...hanger now cleaned!.....still soggy outside .....currently setting up the instrument panel..radios ..eFis etc.... will work on wiring ..harnesses ...etc till i get the lie of the land re f.forward stuff....rgds to all stan..
stanman...rv8...fuselage

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Wow, that sounds like you just missed a real disaster. Glad to hear you are able to keep moving along, that is a real setback. Did the floating fridge cause any damage?
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

stanman
Class G

re GRT..Flood etc

Post by stanman »

re the floating fridge...I was lucky... it ran into a sunken U boat! ....ie my compressor!..which had also turned turtle and sunk! ....and the fridge sort of got stuck between it and the wall...so did not hit the a/c or wings nearby...(if I had kept the fridge stocked with beer..instead of parts ..none of this would have happened!!)..rgds to all...stan
stanman...rv8...fuselage