Aerosport Power

A forum to report your experiences with vendors specific to the homebuilt community.
svanarts
Air Marshall

Aerosport Power

Post by svanarts »

I bought my engine 3 years ago from AeroSport Power in Kamloops, BC, Canada. My RV-4 has been flying for two years now. Recently, I found my charging system may not be working right. I've gone through 2 batteries in two years. I reported this to Sue Gregor of AeroSport. After a few checks she suggested in her email I reported back to them. I then received an email from them that a new alternator was on it's way and to just send the old one back when I found time. Now THAT is service. Bart has also helped me out several times by sending parts that I needed to make things work right and fit right on my engine. He never asked for one dime for these parts. If you're considering a Lycosaur motor, then I heartily recommend AeroSport Power!

http://www.aerosportpower.com/

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yah, sounds like your voltage regualtor is boiling your batteries.

If you have an internal regulator in your alternator, that could be the culprit.

Tell me, what kind of alternator are you using? Have you considered and "auto conversion" one? I am considering that for mine. Just weighing the options.

Cool, sounds like they are treating you well!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

It is an automotive alternator. I've heard it's either from a Suzuki Swift or a Chevy Sprint. Not sure. Do the internal regulators have any kind of adjustment?

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well, I am still learning... but from what I have gathered from Nuckoll's info we have 2 types of regulators. Of those 2 types, some are internal and some are external. If you didn't mount a seperate unit on your firewall, odds are you got an internal one. I also think the GM types have internal ones.

Anywhoooo, the two types are SWITCHING and LINEAR.

...and alternators, there are different manufacturers... of course. Nippon, Bosch and others from auto manufacturers.

I don't recall the brands of aviation alternators, but I think they primarily use switching external regulators.

The internal linear ones are the more modern ones, from what I have gatehred thus far. When I learn more, I will let you know.

:oops: CJ
RV-7

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

oh, and in answer to your question... I don't think any of them are end user adjustable.

:roll: CJ
RV-7