SHERWIN-WILLIAMS AcryGlo SOURCE RECOMMENDATION

A forum to report your experiences with vendors specific to the homebuilt community.
N446PH

SHERWIN-WILLIAMS AcryGlo SOURCE RECOMMENDATION

Post by N446PH »

SHERWIN-WILLIAMS SOURCE RECOMMENDATION

DISCLAIMER:
I have no interest or relationship with the firms mentioned below other than as first-time, positively impressed and satisfied customer.

I've decided to do my own painting and to go with Sherwin-Williams AcryGlo as my system and to only prime internal (non-Alcald) parts that require corrosion protection. However there are those parts (e.g. Horizontal stabilizer trailing edge/elevator leading edge) that will need a top coat and therefore should have a compatible primer before assembly (I'm finding this homebuilding is like chess in that you need to be thinking several moves ahead).

I first called the Sherwin-Williams factory for advice and help with product selection. They were helpful and generous with their time. Not to mention the fact that the person I spoke with had personal experience with homebuilding. Several days after my conversation with them, I received a promised information package with color charts and additional tips, advice and product information.

Then I started to telephone through the list of distributors and stopped when I connected up with Mr. Mike Freeman of:
Raytheon Aircraft Service
2450 N.West Shore Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33067
(813) 878-4535
(800) 323-0756 Toll Free
(813) 874-7773 Fax
E-mail: mike_freeman@rac.ray.com

They were the first distributor I found that even offered quarts and on top of that they were reasonably priced. Mike Freeman was also extremely generous with his time and advice. I had my primer and adducer a few days after my order.

I do not have the experience with them to be able to rate the products themselves. But for those of you who are going to go with Sherwin-Williams, I can highly recommend Raytheon Aircraft Service in Tampa as a source and rate them very highly in terms of customer satisfaction.

(If my paintbooth works out for actual painting/priming as good as it looks and works in testing, I'll provide photos and notes).

Paul

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

That was a really good write-up... let us know how the painting goes! :up:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

Marine
Class G

Post by Marine »

Were they able to ship it to you?

Thanks,
PJ

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Paul, what is the diff between SW AcryGlo and DIMENSION?

If you (or anyone) can give us a rundown on "TYPES' I, for one would appreciate it.

What I mean is, the different types of polyurethanes. Aren't there a couple of different types, acrylic being one?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

dynamicjohn
Class E

Post by dynamicjohn »

We got their aviation stuff right in the store (redding CA) Well, half of it. The other they got from another SW store a little farther south. Had it the next day. They said they can order and mix any aviation family paint within a week.