Oshkosh video

A place to plan social gatherings, flying events, etc.
painless
Class C

Oshkosh video

Post by painless »

If this video doesn't get your juices flowing for Oshkosh, you've gotta problem!

Only thing they left out was the Otter!

http://www.airventure.org/video/index.h ... 1381694270

See you there!!
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Man that is one well put together video!

Love it. They should show that on prime time tv.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

FANTASTIC!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

That video really captured the spirit! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

TomC
Class E

Post by TomC »

Whadya think they would spend all the admission fees and such on?...........smoother taxiways, experimental aircraft stuff, quality food suppliers, campground facilities, etc ??????? :x

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Are you seriously upset about this Tom? :?

I think they spend plenty of money on experimental aircraft stuff, the food is generally good, and the campgrounds are great, IMHO...

BTW...the EAA has nothing to do with smoothing taxiways... :wink:

:)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

One of the taxiways for 18/36 (not "Pappa"....its the one for taxi to the north during the show) sure is in rough shape. On a brighter note, 9/27 is being redone. I guess they got half of it done shortly afer Airventure last year. So the feds are beginning to take care of things.

Also, Tom P was talking last year after the show about improvements that are planned for transport around the grounds as well as upgrades to the campground. No specifics were given.

Getting back to the Otter.......I may try the ribs this time :lol:
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Peshtigo, WI

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

TomC wrote:
Whadya think they would spend all the admission fees and such on?...........smoother taxiways, experimental aircraft stuff, quality food suppliers, campground facilities, etc ??????? :x
I think they spend most of it on putting the event on each year. Imagine the cost to do this event with income basically comming from one week out of the year! Personally I am surprised they don't charge more.

Take a look here at page 19 of the annual report:

http://www.eaa.org/about/annual_report_2006.pdf

I am all for good promotion of our organization that represents experimental aviation.

Sit back and do nothing and general aviation will continue to die the slow horrible death it has been for years.

Oh well, I guess you can't please everyone! :headscratch:

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Tom, ya know what... I am with you. I like going there to meet people. Builders, vendors and other pilots. The best thing is, that is all free. There is no way they can charge for that.

If you want a fun fly-in, come to Hangar #5. We have an airshow everyday!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

TomC
Class E

Post by TomC »

This video is an example of EAA promoting things other than experimental aviation. They do a great job of promoting warbirds, antique airplanes, light sport aircraft, and many other areas of interest that are not “experimental”. They seem to more interested in getting bigger than in serving their original interest group. Chad, you mentioned that the ” and the campgrounds are great”. I have seen the nice campground that is for drive-in campers. I have also slept many nights in the fly-in campground. In the fly-in campground, the walk to the facilities is long and there is not much else. (they did have ice last year) Trying to taxi your plane on that “grass” is just a bit “bumpy” and it is a wonder that there aren’t more landing gear failures. A lot of the food places close a little after 5PM which make it hard to get a dinner of any kind. These problems may not seem like much to someone with access to a vehicle, but to someone who flys in and is on foot, it gets old quickly. For what a professional video costs, some of these problems could be addressed. While EAA may not be directly responsible for the condition of the airport, I don’t think that the airport would turn down improvement money from EAA.

In my opinion, EAA is more interested in getting lots of the non-flying public to the show than in taking care of the aviation members it has. They seem to be competing with AOPA to see who will represent general aviation in governmental situations. A larger membership base helps EAA in this area, whether the members are flying members or not. The following is a quote from the EAA.org website

http://www.eaa.org/govt/building_lookback.asp

"Sometimes we may question whether EAA is still devoted to the cause of homebuilders. Surveys have shown that only about one-third of EAA members have any interest in building their own airplanes and fewer are actually involved."

This makes me wonder if EAA has already lot focus.

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

TomC wrote: "Sometimes we may question whether EAA is still devoted to the cause of homebuilders. Surveys have shown that only about one-third of EAA members have any interest in building their own airplanes and fewer are actually involved."

This makes me wonder if EAA has already lot focus.
Wow, seems this quote was totally taken out of context.

Here is the rest of the quote:

"Despite our minority position, I am convinced that our interests are being served by EAA. The AOPA also looks after our GA interests and deserves our support. But, for our special interests, EAA is the only show in town. Though EAA now represents many other aviation special interest groups, they are still supporting the interests of homebuilders."

and before that

"I have had the opportunity to work with Earl Lawrence, EAA’s vice president of industry and government affairs, over a number of years and watch him in action at many FAA policy meetings, including the recent ARC meetings. He knows his stuff, and is a hard worker. I know we are getting our money’s worth from Earl."

TomC
Class E

Post by TomC »

The fact remains, according to EAA's website

"Surveys have shown that only about one-third of EAA members have any interest in building their own airplanes and fewer are actually involved."

There's no taking this out of context.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I still don't get what your beef is with them spending money on a promotional video...

Not trying to argue, or start anything, I'm geniunly interested in the problem as you see it.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

TomC
Class E

Post by TomC »

You're probably right.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I don't wanna be right...I'd like to know more details about your thoughts, that's all.

:)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

Tom and others have valid points about the EAA losing its focus on experimental aircraft. When you see the big corporations (eg Ford) set up show center at Airventure, you tend to get the picture.

Money has become a driving force in the corporation called EAA, just as it is in any corporation. Unfortunately it takes money to run the EAA, as well as put on Airventure. Dues and entry fees alone cannot foot the bills. Thus, the EAA has to be creative in generating operating funds. Thats just the way it is.

As to Experimental Aircraft being shoved from center stage, I see that as the EAA expanding its mission statement. The promotion of aviation in general has become more of a responsibility for the EAA. This is not a bad thing. It is not as though the EAA has turned its back on homebuilding entirely.

Lastly, Airventure is an event that has something for everyone. If you go to see warbirds, go on Friday and Saturday and have your fill. If you are in the corporate set and need a new VLJ, they are there for the looking. Into antique and classic airplanes? Plenty of 'em. If you just want to putter around the patch in an ultralight, head toward the south end of the field. Looking into building a tube/wood and fabric airplane someday (like I am)....attend the many workshops and forums. Need to upgrade your panel to look like Han solo's panel (little plug for Harrison Ford there....) take a stroll through the exhibition hangars. One of the beauties of Airventure is that it is all there.....what ever turns your crank about aviation...it is there.

Airventure is what YOU make of it. If you don't care about Ford being a corporate sponsor, then don't go in their big pavillion. Ignore all the certified aircraft if you wish. Forget about looking at LSA airplanes if that is not your bag. Don't let all the expanded things that are going on distract you from enjoying YOUR Airventure experience. Get what you want out of it.

Sure, Airventure and the EAA in general are not perfect. But I for one appreciate what the EAA does for aviation in general, and I have had a blast at Airventure the 25 years I have been attending.

The production of the video I posted is just one of the tools that the EAA can use to promote itself, Airventure and aviation in general.

My name is Jeff Orear and I approved this video........ :wink:
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Peshtigo, WI

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Good video. EAA screened it for us when we had the leadership conference back in January. Whats really cool about it was that they now have High Def theater in the museum in which to show the video.

Its quite interesting to hear the concerns of the group. I had an extremely long and frank talk with two of the players at EAA regarding these exact issues. They are getting to the top levels, I can assure you. What EAA does with them is yet to be fully seen. To their credit I do believe some of the AirVenture issues will be addressed with the reworking of the show grounds. Also to their credit is that EAA does have some vision with respect to how they want the organization to interact with their chapters and members. One of the problems they face is that the EAA is understaffed for their purposes, and that, in reality, without the sponsorship moneys, EAA would fold like a deck of cards.

We spent some time with Paul Poberezny, the founder, and he has some of the many concerns you guys do.

As for the video, and all of the money spent on it, I believe it was done with a team of 2 or so. They shot most all of their own video, and only a very small team did post production.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl