D120 Showing Large Discharge

A place to discuss the maintenance of flying RV's
joe plihal
Class G

D120 Showing Large Discharge

Post by joe plihal »

I have a problem I thought I would post here and see if anyone has any insight into this. A few days ago my D120 was showing a sight discharge, I noticed that if a put more load on the alternator (turned on fuel pump, heated pitot, seat heater) the current went from showing discharge to a positive charge. Yesterday all of a sudden I got a large discharge (-20 amps) again I put more load on and it went to a positive charge for a moment and then went negative again and stayed there. My Garmin 430 started acting strange so I shut off the radio buss and nothing changed. During this time the voltage remained at 14.2 volts. I took the alternator to the local auto parts store and they spun it for me and claim it charges just fine. I have visually looked at every connection, wire, terminal I can get at from the alternator to the firewall and from the firewall to the instrument panel and can see nothing out of the ordinary. The alternator is a PlanePower I got from Vans when I build the A/C. Any thought/ guidance or direction I should take???
Thanks
Joe

joe plihal
Class G

Re: D120 Showing Large Discharge

Post by joe plihal »

The issue is solved!! I called Dynon Tech Support and spoke to a very knowledgeable gentleman who sent me down the correct path. He gave me a couple of things to check and I found a bad crimp on one of the wires going to the shunt. The problem is gone and I'm thrilled.
Joe