Left rear elevator spar boo-boo

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
s10sakota
Class E

Left rear elevator spar boo-boo

Post by s10sakota »

Well I got happy fingers while dimpling E-606PP (the small rear spar for the left elevtor).

I was suppose to countersink the top holes obviously because the hinge will be riveted to the bottom of the lip on the spar.

So, since it's already dimpled, could I still use it and then just countersink (or dimple) the hinge so it all fits? Or, the other option would be to order a new spar and do it like the plans say.

Should I call tech support or has anyone made this same error? Personally, I wouldn't see a problem with countersinking the hinge but what do I know??

Thanks
Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

Or option C; you can 'undimple' a hole ONCE by using two flat sets, then countersink.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

Just thought I would post a follow-up incase someone else does this. I tried to un-dimple the holes in a scrap piece of aluminum and I wasn't happy with the results.

I sent an e-mail to Vans Tech Support and Ken indicated that it is safe to countersink the hinge but recommends it be be done carefully by hand.

So...this is what I will do.
Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com