Weekend Wing Work

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
dons
Class C

Weekend Wing Work

Post by dons »

What a great last 3 days for working on the project. Due to a very uncommon set of circumstances I was able to work in the shop for almost 17 hours from Friday evening until Sunday night. It sure felt good to make some progress, even if to the non-builder it wouldn't appear as if much of anything was done, such is the majority of work we do on these projects it seems.

Over the coarse of the weekend I did the following:

Image Image Image Image
  • Made the scarf joint for the right bottom wing skins
  • Cleaned the bottom skins until a clean cloth stayed clean
  • Corrosion Protected the interior surface of the two bottom right wing skins
  • Deburred two sides of 1268 holes, mostly on the 6 right wing skins (2536 operations)
Image Image Image Image
  • Set 64 rivets (32 plate nuts)
  • Counter Sunk 379 holes (mostly on the right wing spar)
  • Fixed the Counter Sink tool after the roller bearings slipped inside (not shown)
  • Dimpled 1237 holes (gotta love that DRDT-2)
If I were making the rules about the 51% business, I would consider all but about 20 minutes of my entire weekend as 'fabrication', i.e. getting the parts ready to drive rivets and assemble them together. The amount of time I consider real assembly time is no more than 5 to 10 percent of shop time to this point in my build, but it still felt might good.
Last edited by dons on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Sweet Don!! Good to see some pictures! I like your post presentation too!

8) 8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Way to go, Don! Having just recently finished my wings, it all looks so familiar.

Bruce

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

looks first class to me don....keep at it bud. :) before you know it you'll run out of things to do. i tried to find stuff to do for a week before i realized, well, its time to go to the airport. :oops:
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Don,

When you say "Corrosion Protected the interior surface of the two bottom right wing skins", what are you using to do that ? I couldn't quite tell in the picture.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Thanks for the comments.
Wicked Stick wrote: When you say "Corrosion Protected the interior surface of the two bottom right wing skins", what are you using to do that ? I couldn't quite tell in the picture.
I'm using something called Tech Bond, see this thread for more info. While it doesn't compare to the mechanical protection of 2 part epoxy, it is very easy to work with and a whole lot safer when your shop is connected to the house.

I use a simple fume hood vented to the outside to keep any fumes out of the living area. I tried building a completely enclosed paint booth to spray 2 part epoxy in, but I just couldn't keep the fumes out of the house.

Tech Bond is also very fast to work with, I can remove the plastic from a wing skin, clean it, protect it, and have it dry to the touch in under an hour without any process clean up to speak of or lingering fumes.

There are just way too many choices of what to do or not do when it come to 'priming', I chose this and am going to see what happens, something experimental after all.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Wish I had known about that stuff when I was building.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD