moving manual trim location

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
hydroguy2
Class B

moving manual trim location

Post by hydroguy2 »

anyone move there manual trim knob to the left side? I'm putting in a left side throttle quadrant and want to move my trim knob to that area also.

any thought?
Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Brian,

As far as I can tell, the only limiting factor would be the length of the manual trim cable and the route you plan to take to get it to the left hand side. Instead of routing the cable through the center (I think that's where it gets routed -- I have electric so I am not 1005), could you route it on the left hand side under the floors? I would think that would do the trick.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

On my 6A we ended up putting part of the cable down the left side by had the knob itself in the center for the manual trim. Frankly I would highly recomend that it be located in the Center because if someone is the right seat is doing the flying for whatever the reason they can't access it. We really like the manual trim and find that it is the best way to go. The pilot or instructor have equal access to manual trim knob. :)

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Thanks guys, I've already scoped out the run it down the left side route. Looks like that will work fine. I was just wondering if anyone had already done it AND had pictures so I won't have to reinvent the wheel.

I am fully aware of the implications of left side only controls....... No CFI in their right mind will give me a BFR..... Pilot friends won't want to ride with me...... Resale won't be worth squat....... But I'm ok with it. It's our plane, I don't plan on selling it to anybody(ever) and my wife doesn't want controls on her side.

Yep that's right, I'm building a Tip-up, taildragger with no backup gages, no controls and no brakes on the right side.
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Busy at work these days, but got my throttle quadrant and decided I better figure out how to mount it, so spent a few minutes tonight roughing it in....really rough. Then taped the trim knob in a few places to see how it is going to integrate.

Kinda' fun sitting in making airplane noises.
Brian
Townsend, MT