busted rudder link or something

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
hydroguy2
Class B

busted rudder link or something

Post by hydroguy2 »

OK not really, but that's how it feels today. It seems as if I have lost directional control on my project.

Since I didn't really expect to have an engine before christmas, I have just been fiddling with things that needed done sooner or later. Canopy, fairings, etc...you know busy work that doesn't really matter when you do it.

Now with the engine on the horizon, what next? need to order the FWF stuff, run a bunch of wires....no need to finalize the wiring plan, first, cut the panel, then run wires. Drill the firewall, crap, I need the engine in place since I had a non standard throttle setup. dang I need a mentor to look over my shoulder pointing at stuff and saying "Do This"

maybe I should break out the Vans manual and check what everyone else does.
:bang: :bang: :bang:
help me Mr wizard.

anyone else feeling overwhelmed
Brian
Townsend, MT

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Just do something and that will get you closer to the goal.

The entire project has been that way for me but I make myself do something at every work session and that has made the project move forward.

Now that mine is at the hangar, my work sessions are moving farther apart. When I am there, it is easy to be distracted by visitors and airplanes using the airfield.

I hope people don't think I am rude when I just keep working while talking to them. :oops:
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

smittysrv
Class D

Post by smittysrv »

I'm concerned about the same thing Brian. Right now in the project, it's pretty much "do this, now do that" in the plans. My finish kit is coming next week, but I know that eventually the umbilical cord will be cut and I will own on as to what to do next. I plan to try to find 3 or 4 builders who have completed an RV and a DAR to guide me when I get to that stage.

As far as distraction goes, I have a neighbor who is intrigued with my project and comes over everytime my garage door opens. Being a southerner who has had "the southern bell of kindness" firmly established into my personality, I pretty much stand there and talk (to be nice), while my project is gathering dust. Here lately I have been working with the garage door down just to avoid the situation. I wish I had the nerve to tell him "Sorry, not today. I'm busy and I need to work!".

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

To be honest, I have not looked at the directions in over 8 months....

At this point I only look at the plans for hardware callouts as the fab work is done and all that is left is finalizing the parts that I know how to put together.

There comes a time where it is all up to you to move forward.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Re: busted rudder link or something

Post by cjensen »

hydroguy2 wrote:OK not really, but that's how it feels today. It seems as if I have lost directional control on my project.
Welcome to the "end game"...
hydroguy2 wrote:<snip>dang I need a mentor to look over my shoulder pointing at stuff and saying "Do This"
Yes, do this. And this. And this. When I entered the point you are at last summer, I felt the EXACT same way. EXACTLY. Had no idea which thing to pick up next. Finally decided...it doesn't matter, just pick something. You'll realize when you are working on some part, that you can either keep working on it, or you need to wait and move to something else because it can't be finished until you do that. So work on that. It's frustrating, yes.
hydroguy2 wrote:anyone else feeling overwhelmed
Almost every time I go to the hangar. :wink: You ain't alone buddy! :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Feeling overwhelmed? Yup. And I don't even have the rear fuse together yet. *sigh*
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I was in the same situation when I finished with the standard instructions. I was really chugging along with the build until that moment. Ever since it has been a constant struggle to get things done. Nothing is simple anymore. Nothing is documented. It seems everything I do now is reinventing the wheel.

Now I know all of that sounds terrible, and it is compared to the hand-holding with the first 1/2 of the project. However, it is different. I find it a lot more gratifying to complete a phase that isn't documented.

Like the others have said, if you work on the project every day and accomplish SOMETHING, no matter how big or small it is, thats progress and you will soon have nothing left to work on except flying!

One big piece of advice my tech counselor gave me when I was in your position was to just concentrate on one thing at a time. Don't skip between wiring, the cowl, and firewall forward. You become too spread out that way and never get any big items checked off. Concentrate all your effort on one area.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

whew, thought it was just me. you guys seem to move right along while I've been floundering. It would be help if there was other builders or tech counselor close by....but then I would probably be wishing the visitors would quit interrupting me....oh well onward and upward.

I, too only look at plans when I'm backed in the corner. Working on panel install today, then hope to start cutting it out tomorrow. Then Fedex stopped by to cheer me up. I bought a AFP injection unit from another builder for ~25% off and it's only been test run for an hour.

ok back to the shop.
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

One foot in front of the other, climbs the mountain. You guys give me motivation, so I try to use it to the fullest.

The plan was to work on the panel and get it ready for cutting. I started out with a blank panel, didn't even have the braces drilled. Got the braces done, fab'd up a new rib to move left away from Dynon.
Image.

Thanks to Brantel for the CAD picture he made for me a while back. I was able to quickly make some layout lines and start chopping away.

Long way to go, but got further than I thought I would today......Thanks again everybody
Brian
Townsend, MT

Bob Barrett
Class C

Next Steps

Post by Bob Barrett »

I now I have said it before but I strongly recommend that you carefully plan what hole you need to cut in the firewall and for what purpose. Then cut those holes and mount the things that will need to go there prior to hanging the engine if at all possible. Yes I had to change some things and I wish I could have changed some other things but once the engine is hung it gets real hard to make more holes especially big ones! I had my throtle cable, mixture cable, carb heat all planned out and in. Then Van's filtered airbox kit came with an emergency fresh air supply for the engine. :bang: :bang: By then the engine was hung. This also means planning hook ups for engine monitoring wires, electrical wires, master switch, starter relay, etc. Sorry to repeat my self but I would rather have you delete this than have you say I wish someone had told me that before :bang:

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Thanks Bob, I hear ya. One problem I have is my nonstandard leftside throttle, so I have made peace with the notion that I WILL be removing the engine at least once, maybe more. I have no idea where to punch these holes until the engine is in place and the throttle is in position.

But still making progress, cut some more holes tonight.
Brian
Townsend, MT