cowling dance

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Look Ma', no hands....i mean, no tape or straps.

Finally got all the hinge material cleco'd in place.

And cut a 5" sq. oil door. The James cowls don't come with an oil door, so I planned it out and made a perfect cut. I'll be able to use the cutout scrap for the new door.

BTW-those upper cowl hinge pins are a really bugger! Almost thought I should switch to Skybolts or something.
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Now that I've got everything drilled and cleco'd. I want to rivet the side hinges and bottom attach plates. I don't have a no-hole squeezer and the access for bucking isn't good either.

SO.... Anyone of you pull the engine mount with engine attached, rivet and re-install? Is this a potential can of worms or a no big deal?
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I was able to rivet my hinges without a problem...one caveat though...I did use pulled rivets for the last four or so on the bottom.

Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

cjensen wrote:I was able to rivet my hinges without a problem...one caveat though...I did use pulled rivets for the last four or so on the bottom.
Perfect, I'll have the Ribeye steaks and beer ready for after you get here and knock that out for me. :mrgreen:
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Works for me! What time is good for you? :mrgreen: :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

doh! called my bluff. We'll wait until it gets above 0*F
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Guess I'll have the guys put the TBM back in the hangar then... :roll: :lol:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

hydroguy2
Class B

which intake air filter?

Post by hydroguy2 »

Cut the ring holes

And noticed things get kinda tight in there. So wondering what air filter to install. Read on VAF that the James filter filter recomendation is a touch small and restrictive.

Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

cowling dance

Post by cjensen »

Dude...you are freakin CRUISIN!!!!!!

Sent from Chad's iPhone
>
Submitted via email

hydroguy2
Class B

Re: cowling dance

Post by hydroguy2 »

cjensen wrote:Dude...you are freakin CRUISIN!!!!!!

Sent from Chad's iPhone
>
Submitted via email

when I hung the engine, I figured I'd have 3-400hrs to first flight. So I'm trying to knock out an average of 25hrs/week. I want to go to paint in May.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Are you going to be able to make the first flight form your home or do you have to take it to an airport? Your sure are producing work fast! Once I had to take my airplane to the airport, it really slowed me down. My airplane is 22 miles away and it takes a half hour each way. You can't believe how many times the part or tool I need is at home. :bang:

The FBO has been really helpful and lent me tools or bolts but some things I just have to wait until I can bring them from home :bang:

The hanger isn't heated and so in real cold weather anything below 25Degrees Fairenht means you don't work :bang:

Wicked Stick
Class B

Re: which intake air filter?

Post by Wicked Stick »

hydroguy2 wrote:And noticed things get kinda tight in there. So wondering what air filter to install. Read on VAF that the James filter filter recomendation is a touch small and restrictive.

How about a Rod Bower Ramair filter ? :)
You will probably have to cut the lower cowl area up around the intake and make that area bigger though.

So far your work looks really nice.. I kind of like how the James stuff is more transparent. Must make it easier to see where you are locating and drilling all the hinge pin material.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Wicked- I don't want to hack up the cowl, but may not have a choice. looking for options

Bob- I'll be taking it the airport, <2 miles away, for final assembly.

Right now I have a pretty sweet deal, my work schedule is very flexible, my shop is 35 paces away and I don't have cable TV, dropped the flying club and anyone to worry about. The wife works evenings or is busy getting her Masters degree. My plan is to get it ready for paint before May. I'll then haul it piece by piece to a friends autobody shop and I'll take vacation days from my job and work with him. As each piece gets done, it will go to another friends hangar home, where he'll help me get it put back together. Exciting times ahead

Here is how you keep your shop warm. 15*F outside, 71* inside. Am I the only one who throws an extra log in the stove just to keep the shop cat happy?
Brian
Townsend, MT

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Two miles is a lot better than 22 miles each way. It sounds like your time schedule may work. I took my wings to the painter 2/22/08 and got them back about ten days later. I took my fuselage to the painter 5/27/08 and got it back and to the airport on 6/18/08. However I didn't get it together and signed off until 12/18/08. By then the test pilot I wanted was in Florida for the Winter and I had about 50' X 100' snow bank to get the airplane out. I waited for the test pilot to get back from Florida! He got back late April and first flight was 5/9/09. A lot of my delay was that extra 20 miles each way!

I hope you have better luck! Who knows some day I may get your way. My airplane is at 8Y6 Clear Lake MN. It now has 79.8 hours and I completed the first condition inspection 12/21/09.

hydroguy2
Class B

clock is tickin', need to get back on the cowl, baffles.....

Post by hydroguy2 »

Got the oil door figured out. I'm using a remote opener via hinge pin to secure it. I used screws to attach the high lift hinge so the door can be removed easier.

Here it is closed. Still needs paint prep finishing, but it's close enough for now.

Also today was the first time I tried to install the cowl with the RamAir canister in place. Gotta love the non-standard build, here's a pic showing the 1/8" clearance. Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Oil door looks great Brian...I did the same thing last night! :wink: I haven't figured out how I'm going to latch mine yet though...been thinking about the hinge pin release. Are you going to actuate it from the cowl inlet or from in the cabin?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

in the cabin, already done. it works really slick and is easy to reach.

Not the best pic, but the AL tube runs from the firewall to the subpanel. The aft end is anchored to the mapbox. The forward end pierces the firewall and will be prosealed. It terminates at the cowl joint, then I have a piece of plastic brake line epoxied to the upper cowl. This arrangement guides the pin to the oil door hinges without much effort. I'll have more pics later

Last edited by hydroguy2 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Got pics, or did I miss them somewhere?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

i hadn't posted any pics, since I didn't have any good ones. I edited the early post with a bad pic

My excuse is: I have a broken camera(no screen to view), so can only point it in the direction and snap. fingers crossed I get a usable image. Wife said "NO, you can not take my camera to the shop". :dunno:
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Good enough for me! :thumbsup:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support