Mounted the Empennage!

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
BSwayze
Class C

Mounted the Empennage!

Post by BSwayze »

I reached an exciting milestone over the last week. I mounted the empennage on the fuselage for the first time! It's so much fun putting big pieces of the airplane together. Visitors who come by now say "Wow! It looks like an airplane!" :)

I'm always amazed how the rudder doubles the size of the tail. I hooked up the elevator pushrod. It's fun to walk to the front, reach in the cabin and grab the control stick and move the elevators up and down. I know it sounds silly, but it's fun. It must be a rite of passage after all this work, right?

I have more pics and a lot more detail on my website. The mating of the wings will come soon!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

AWESOME Bruce!! I did the same thing!! There is something special about moving the controls for the first time!

8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Bruce,

Looks great!

Are we mating the wings this weekend when I come over????????

- Mike B
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Most excellent!
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Hooray!

you're gaining on me
Brian
Townsend, MT

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Thanks a lot, guys!
I appreciate your comments.
bullojm1 wrote:Bruce,

Looks great!

Are we mating the wings this weekend when I come over????????

- Mike B
Mike, are you kidding me? That's a GREAT idea!!! I would really appreciate the help from some experienced hands. And the weather forecast is good, too, for the weekend and beyond. I'll have to get my butt in gear to get all the preparations made.

Looking forward to seeing you!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon

1:1_Scale
Class D

Post by 1:1_Scale »

That looks GREAT Bruce! At what point do you plan to learn to FLY your contraption? I'm still a ways out, but trying to figure out a good time to start back up with the PPL work so that I'll have "enough" experience to fly the RV without killing me in aircraft rentals :headscratch:
Kelly
RV-7 Empennage done, wings done, fuselage to QB stage
1947 Stinson108-1 flying

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Thanks, Kelly!

That's a great question, and I've been giving it a lot of consideration. Right now I'm thinking I'll start on my PPL next spring, about 10 or 12 months from now. We'll see how much more I can get done on the project between now and then, but that's what I'm thinking anyway. Stay in touch and let me know how you're doing on yours, okay? How's your RV coming along?
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon

Mike Balzer
Class E

Post by Mike Balzer »

Bruce,
Nice work and quality documentation on your web site. I use yours and many other builders to for see what to expect on the next component that I am building and always look for good advice or problem areas.

I too don't have a PPL and plan on learning on a tail dragger aircraft only.

thanks,

mike balzer
It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, then being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. N78MB

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

If you don't have a PPL, you maybe better see if you can get some lessons now! You will have a much better understanding about some of things you are doing while building your airplane. My Throttle, Carb Heat, Mixture, and flaps are very similiar to what I was using in a Cessna 172. There may well be better arrangements but it makes the transition a little easier. There are other things about the cockpit that you may want to copy or avoid on your training aircraft during the building of your airplane! Even radio, Transponder, GPS could be different. Training airplane ususally don't have glass cockpits but five years from now gass cockpits are going to be almost a necessity. If you are building a tail-dragger be sure and learn in a tail dragger!!!!!!!

Most insurance companies are going to want you to have your license and probably more than 50 hours of time as a pilot. It sounds like one or both of you could have you airplane flying in a year or two. You could have a hard time getting 50 hours in the next two years.

1:1_Scale
Class D

Post by 1:1_Scale »

Bruce, I've been making slow progress, but got the tailcone clecoed up last weekend, but it's be a crazy couple of weeks. I'd rather build than update my build log, but hate getting too far behind on that too.... :roll: I should make up a post about the installation of the Hotel Whiskey ER tanks at least.

Bob, thanks for the tips! I'm fortunate enough to have an instructor, Decathlon, and a Maule 235 in the family, too bad they're a 5 hour drive away! But a few long weekends could be very beneficial :)
Kelly
RV-7 Empennage done, wings done, fuselage to QB stage
1947 Stinson108-1 flying

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Thanks, Bob,

Some valuable pointers to consider, for sure. I've never been quite sure how to try and do both at once. Build and fly, that is. There's only so much money and there's only so much time. I don't want to do either one poorly. I have been giving it more thought lately, so I know I'm close to putting some plans in action.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon

Bob Barrett
Class C

Bruce and Kelly

Post by Bob Barrett »

I fully recognize the difficulty of trying to build and fly at the same time especially when it comes to finances! However one of the things that cause a lot of accidents in homebuilt airplanes is licensed pilots let their flying skills detriote while building to finances and time constraints and then have an accident in the airplane during the test period! If you have family members or close friends who are pilots, you should also ask them for suggestions on the layout of the panel and cockpit. You can ask a consultant's opinion but remember you don't have do what the consultant suggests! Ask them to explain their reasoning and if you and another pilot friend buy what they are saying do it! If you don't even if you paid for the consolation, don't do it! That even goes for people like me who make suggestions on RB!

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Thanks, Bob,

Once again, VERY GOOD points to consider. I do have a lot of friends and resources available here. And though I don't have my PPL yet, I've spent a lot of time in and around a cockpit and flown various types of aircraft. I'll definitely be seeking some good input and advice before I put that panel together.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon

rv7garage
Class G

Post by rv7garage »

A little late here, but I had to chime in and offer my congrats as well- looking great! You just keep wiggling that control stick, Bruce- it's very motivational :)

Myself, I finished the rudder this week, now on to the elevators. Time to order the wing kit??

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Thank you, Paul. Yes, get that wing kit ordered. You'll be ready for it before you know it.

And, post some pictures!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon

itisgood
Class E

Post by itisgood »

Bruce,
Good work!!!
I have yet to even start on the fuselage. It should be shipped next week.
When you get where you are, the ship begins to take shape and you get the feeling that it won't be tooooo long now!
dave

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Excellent Bruce. I've fallen so far behind in so many things, glad you are making good progress.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)