Rivnut rivets help

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
itisgood
Class E

Rivnut rivets help

Post by itisgood »

I started today to rivet the fuselage firewall. It is good to begin to rivet.

But I cannot find on the plans what rivets to use to rivet the K1000-4 nutplates to the firewall that holds the doubler for the fuel pump.

I cannot think that I should countersink them and then use a AD426-3-?

What is the proper rivet please.
Thanks
Dave

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Rivnut rivets help

Post by Spike »

Countersink the reinforcement plate for all of those rivets. For the rivets that hold the nut plates I'd go with a 3-4 or a 3-4.5

Spike

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

-----Original message-----
To:
rv7@rivetbangers.com
Sent:
Fri, Aug 20, 2010 22:08:10 GMT+00:00
Subject:
Rivnut rivets help

I started today to rivet the fuselage firewall. It is good to begin to rivet. But I cannot find on the plans what rivets to use to rivet the K1000-4 nutplates to the firewall that holds the doubler for the fuel pump. I cannot think that I should countersink them and then use a AD426-3-? What is the proper rivet please. Thanks Dave rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=34731#34731
Submitted via email

itisgood
Class E

Post by itisgood »

Thanks Spike,
If I use a 426 rivet then I would need to countersink the Nut plate would I not? Should't I use a round head rivet for the nut plates?
Dave

itisgood
Class E

Post by itisgood »

sorry Spike,
You did good and me it took too long to figure it out. DAH!
I go tit fixed
thanks
Dave

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Dave,

A very good option for riveting nutplates on is to use 3/32" NAS 1097 rivets, commonly called "oops rivets". This avoids any dimpling of either the skin or the underlying part, or the nutplates, since the parts only need a slight countersink for the rivets to fit flush. The flush heads on these rivets are smaller than the normal 426 rivets and they only need a slight countersink, but the rivets that hold nutplates on aren't structural. Their only purpose is to hold the nutplate on. You can do the small countersinks with your deburring tool. The smaller rivet heads really look nice. I've used them throughout the project for installing nutplates, etc.

I don't have a shot handy of a nutplate installation, but here's a shot of my rudder cable fairing, installed with these rivets. You can see how much smaller they look compared to the normal 426 rivets also in the picture. It's easier and less work, in my opinion, and works great.

Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward