Left Elevator question

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
scottT
Class G

Left Elevator question

Post by scottT »

The four outboard rivets on the E-606 trim spar are called out as MK-319-BS. Looking for preparation information. I found but do not remember where that the drill size is # 34 which is right between a -3 and a -4. So, finally, the question. What do I use to dimple? I have a 1/8" 120 degree dimple die but don't think that will work with a #34 pilot holes.

Or should I just up 1/8" cherry max rivets?

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

not being familiar with that rivet, but gonna take a stab in the dark here.

I would guess you could probably drill a #40 hole, then dimple it with a 3/32" dimple die then step drill the hole to your final size.

Try it on a piece of scrap metal first.

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Scott,

You're running into a common problem with some of the pulled rivets that you'll be using throughout the project. I remember asking this same question when I was doing this. The shafts of the pulled rivets are a little bit larger in diameter than the standard flush rivets but the dimple is the same size, so the hole just needs to be enlarged a bit after dimpling.

The way to do this is to first drill to #40 as usual, dimple as usual, then for the MK-319-BS rivets, enlarge the dimpled holes to 7/64". That's all there is to it. You'll run into this with some of the 1/8" pulled rivets, too. After dimpling, enlarge the hole until the rivet will fit.

Good luck with your project... build on!

Last edited by BSwayze on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

scottT
Class G

Post by scottT »

Guys,

Seems the most reasonable approach.

Thank you,

Scott