Tip-up Canopy - how high does my shop ceiling need to be?

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
BSwayze
Class C

Tip-up Canopy - how high does my shop ceiling need to be?

Post by BSwayze »

As I look forward to the work on my canopy, I realize my ceiling in my shop isn't very high. I'm wondering how high the tip-up canopy goes in the fully up position, and if it will run into my ceiling. Can someone give me an idea, or better yet, a measurement?

Measuring from the side rails or longerons of the fuselage, how high does the canopy go when it's fully up?

I will probably cut my supporting sawhorse down a bit more anyway, just to lower the fuselage some more and make things more comfortable to work with, but knowing just how much clearance I need will really help me. Did any of you guys run into an issue here?

Thanks in advance for some help!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

I don't have a measurement. But when I stand on the seat ribs, the open canopy is above my head. I'm 6'.
Brian
Townsend, MT

dpansier
Class G

Post by dpansier »

Hello Bruce,
In the extended position the tip-up measures 52" from the top of the side rails to the upper most part to the canopy.
I have mine sitting right out the door in the up position.

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Thank you so much, Don! That's EXACTLY the information I was looking for.

I went right out and measured. Thankfully, I do have enough ceiling clearance for the canopy, but just barely. I have about 8" to spare, if I stay clear of the garage door. I may still cut down my supporting sawhorse a bit just for a comfortable working height.

I saved a link to your website, Don. When the time comes, I'll look to you first for the antennas I will need. They look really great. Thanks again!

Brian, I know now that you and I see eye-to-eye. Literally. I'm just a skosh bit over 6' myself. :mrgreen:
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

BSwayze wrote:
Brian, I know now that you and I see eye-to-eye. Literally. I'm just a skosh bit over 6' myself. :mrgreen:
well then, I look forward to looking up to you someday. :mrgreen:
Brian
Townsend, MT