Squawks and tweeks

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

hydroguy2 wrote:One new development, It is real sensitive in roll. well thats not new, but today I gave the stick a little tap and it seemed unstable and the oscillations got worse
Have you talked with anyone about this yet ? (Van's or a flight advisor)
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Wicked Stick wrote:
hydroguy2 wrote:One new development, It is real sensitive in roll. well thats not new, but today I gave the stick a little tap and it seemed unstable and the oscillations got worse
Yes, a flight advisor. I have some rigging checks to do first, then run a small test.
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

delete
Brian
Townsend, MT

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

hydroguy2 wrote:
Wicked Stick wrote:
Yes, a flight advisor. I have some rigging checks to do first, then run a small test.
Hope you resolve the issue soon, I have asked a few knowledgable people via e-mail myself, will let you know what they suggest if it may help.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

sure, always open to more input. PM me if you want

I need to make some measurements on the ailerons. I think both maybe be drooped a tiny amount at the trailing edge. Also I need to disconnect the aileron trim. Then make a flight in smooth air to check things starting at lower speeds, then work up. It was bumpy last time out and I was doing 175-180kts.
Talking with my Test Pilot, he said he tested for stability and saw no issues. Yes it was sensitive at speed, but not usual or unstable. He may come back down and check things out for me.

I may be just a nervous new owner. :oops:
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

The OAT indication is working. Temp was 7*F on the ground today, but 21F at 6000'. Got my D180 to show DA & TAS. My speed looks to be pretty close to correct. Need to burn more gas to make sure. Also I loosened up the aileron trim springs and tried to test the wing rocking I had felt earlier. At 175mph she is very stable and rock solid, but was unable to much high speed testing due to turbulence.

I was hoping to go to 8000'DA and run WOT and 2650rpm to see what she'd do. 20-30mph winds coming over the Mtns was causing to much turbulence. I dropped down to 5500 & things smoothed out pretty good, but by then I was in cruise mode. throttled back to 20" 2400rpm is 175mph TAS 8gph ROP. I need to figure out how to run the engine properly.

I flew to my old FBO in Helena again and brought them donuts. After lunch I decided to log some time, so flew over the Toston Dam, then on to Three Forks. Finally went to Bozeman(KBZN), upon contacting BZN tower, he said to ident....oops I forgot to even turn it on. Once on they still weren't getting any ALT readout. Guess I've got some work to do on that.

9.2hrs on the HOBBS, so pulled the cowl and doing an oil change since the weather is going to hell tomorrow.

Couple new squawks to add to the list.
1. Transponder
2. heat muff hose clamp rubbing cowl
3. add booster under seat

What a great way to enjoy life.
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

got the oil changed and during inspection of the FWF, I found the throttle arm loose.

It also had a wet appearance like it had some oil on it. going to have to watch this closer.

1. Found a rivet pulled through on the baffle(same place as chad's failure) so will be reworking this area soon.
2. found my transponder ALT problem. fixed by selecting the correct output on the Dynon.
3. Calibrated the Dynon remote compass

so far things are looking pretty good.
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

update

Post by hydroguy2 »

1. heavy left wing.....really wants to roll left at 200mph...fixed
2. No OAT indication on Dynon....fixed
3. ELT and/or Remote broke.....working on it
4. Canopy has loosen up and rattles at idle
5. Heat controller is backwards
6. need seal on canopy...purchased seal, didn't fit
7. full fuel in left tank only registers 15gals...gonna live with it
8. sidetone or ??squelch...I have a lot of noise in my headset, but everyone says the radio is real clear...ok when flying
9. slight contact between plenum and upper cowl. (added anti scuff tape for now)....no change
10. wallet is already empty
11. Transponder....fixed but needs checked
12. heat muff hose clamp rubbing cowl.....fixed
13. add booster under seat got 1 but need better

So some stuff getting taken care of. But now have more issues. A few days ago on my way home, the engine started running rough. played with the mixture and rpm, no change and I was only 3 miles from the field so landed. Run up showed Pmag drop of over 100rpm, Emag 50. Somethings not right, so pulled the cowl, everything looks ok. Pulled the plugs, all ok.
When I pulled my plenum I found the baffle cracked near the cooler. then I checked the timing, seems It is off but not sure how much. more work today.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Brian, Sorry to hear all the problems you and Chad are having with things shaking loose and breaking. I can't help but wonder if the O-360's with more than 180 HP is the problem? I know when some of the RV 4&6's first started with the O-360 some problems showed up that never happed to the O-320 150 & 160HP. The emenge skins starting cracking on those with the bigger engines! Van's orginally used 16 thousands skins and then came out with 20 thousands skins. I had a friend with an RV-6A O-320 with 160HP and he had 974 hours on his without a problem. Two of my friends here one with a 4 and one 6A both have O-360's over 180HP. They have experienced many similiar problems to what you and Chad are experiencing?

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

No problem Bob. It just part of the growing pains. I expected to have baffle work, but was hoping to make it to next year. I'll add a brace for now, but most likely I'll need to replace the piece that straddles cyl #4. Oh well. Worst part was today was one of the nicest we've had in a while and I'm down. got my fingers crossed I can get things back together tomorrow after work.
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Sheesh Bob...you make it sound like our RV's are falling apart in front of our eye's! :o :wink: RV's have been flying with more than 180hp for well over a decade and besides that, the 7's and 8's are designed for up to 200hp anyway.

Agreed with Brian that there are gonna be teething issues and if a cracked baffle (known problem btw) is the biggest problem I have, which other than the fuel leak, it is, I'm a happy flyer! :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

hydroguy2
Class B

[b]Let's see a day off....[/b]

Post by hydroguy2 »

....Got my baffles all braced up. New spark plugs. Timing checked ok but and then reset a little closer to TDC. Sunshine, wind 10-15mph straight down the runway and 4 hrs until the wife gets home....yep better do an operational check. Little bumpy down low so climbed looking for smooth air. Found it at 10500 and then went on to 12000 before heading back
Looking east

Pretty much leveled off and snapped this panel shot. I'm still learning the whole engine operation. LOP, ROP, RPM.....But pretty happy with the numbers today. I was finally able to run WOT. Seems to be a little vibration above 2450rpm. this was 72% 20" 2350rpm, 120-140*ROP

this was earlier before I figured out the EMS Lean function. But was LOP 65% part throttle....I'll figure it out one of these days
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Nice numbers!

Why did you install new spark plugs? :?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Last week I had a roughness develop when I was low over the lake. I was only a few miles form the field, so just landed. I performed a run-up and found 1 Pmag was dropping 100rpm(which is unusual). so pulled the plugs. They looked ok, but cheap to change. Checked my timing and I may have had it slightly off, but reset set it anyway. All is good now.

The engine seems to be a little rough, ie: not as smooth above 2400rpm. But maybe this is normal....I don't know.
Brian
Townsend, MT

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Have you had the prop/engine balanced?

Mine seems smooth all the way up, especially considering it is a 4 cylinder. It is similar to the 0-470 in our C-180, and that is also real smooth.
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

I haven't balanced the prop yet. But today I did some more testing trying to figure out leaning and such.

I get a little roughness starting -70* LOP. Still showing 170kts at 8.5gph or so. What amazed me was leaning ROP.

at 6500msl(6200DA) 23" 2370rpm, 80* ROP about 10.5gph. I was easily 183KTAS. I still have throttle and RPM. Once the weather settles down I really want to wring this out and see what 25" 2500rpm will do. If I could some smooth air down low, I should be able to get: 27"+ and 2650rpm.... I might not like the fuel burn, but the speed might be impressive.
Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

hydroguy2 wrote:I haven't balanced the prop yet. But today I did some more testing trying to figure out leaning and such.
Brian,

In my manual for my 200RV prop, it states:

The engine/propeller must now be dynamically balanced before first flight. on page 5-2.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

bullojm1 wrote:
hydroguy2 wrote:I haven't balanced the prop yet. But today I did some more testing trying to figure out leaning and such.
Brian,

In my manual for my 200RV prop, it states:

The engine/propeller must now be dynamically balanced before first flight. on page 5-2.
Now that you mention it I think mine says that too. Guess I better get that done :oops: Need to figure out where to get that done.
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Too bad you're not closer! I could get it done for free for ya! :o
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

cjensen wrote:Too bad you're not closer! I could get it done for free for ya! :o
dang, you're just outside my phase 1 radius.

Just got off the phone with a guy, who knows a guy, who does that. Not likely I'll get it for free though
Brian
Townsend, MT