roll your own interior

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
hydroguy2
Class B

roll your own interior

Post by hydroguy2 »

Aurora and I got invited to Montana Pilots Association meeting in Helena next week for a "show & tell" so while the exterior looks good the inside hadn't been finished. Well today Kris and I started making the interior panels. The backing is 1/4" foil bubble wrap, this is covered with a lightweight gray cloth. The panels where our arms rub have a black vinyl with a yellow accent sewed in place with green and purple thread.

yellow held down with green thread
Kris stitching down the black using purple thread
Pilot side
Pax side

I need to trim them a little smaller to remove a few puckers, then install with velcro. I'll be building arm rests covered in Black vinyl (same covering on my glareshield) and Kris will be building some pockets for the lower side panels.
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

That's freakin' awesome Brian!! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

thanks Chad, it'll look better once all the pieces are in place and the wavy puckers are gone.

I like the Classic Aero interiors, but couldn't justify the cost. So one of the best parts of this interior is we've only spend $28. Of course I still need to get materials for the baggage area and the rear floor...so another $20 or 30.
Brian
Townsend, MT

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

I'm with Chad, Brian. That's fabulous! Please keep the photos coming as you finish everything up!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Looks great Brian! Maybe a little side business?
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Probably not another side job. Took many months to get her to help on my own.
Today I made the padded armrests and fixed the fit issues. Still need to build the lower panels with pockets

Then recowled and cleaned stuff up for show and tell tomorrow.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

That is niiice dude! :thumbsup:

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Brian, your wife Kris does nice work! Beautiful ingterior! I hope the weather lets you fly to your destination this weekend. Our weather here promises to be crappy! We had snow today, more for tomorrow and then snow and cold Saturday and Sunday. We have been in Florida from 12/29/10 until late 1/11/11. I havent had time to go out to the airport to see if we can dig the airplane out and fly it or if we are snowed in for the rest of the Winter. We flew commercial and I sure would have enjoyed flying the RV there and back. :bang:

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Thanks for the compliment Bob, I'll pass it along to Kris. She's a keeper, we just had our 31st anniversary in Dec.

I wasn't able to fly my plane to the Show & Tell with the MPA. We had high winds, icy runway and snow developing over the mountains between us. I could have made it up there easy enough, but the forecast called for snow. Plus i can't fly at night, so was worried about getting stuck up there for 3-4days.
Yep I'll say it I'm a chicken. But take offs are optional. There is plenty of nice days ahead.

the good news, Aurora never looked better! she is all cleaned up, wiped down and shining like the jewel she is.
Brian
Townsend, MT