Holy Crap

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
Joew
Class G

Holy Crap

Post by Joew »

I'm still working on my wings learning to love.... proseal...... and decided to order my QB fuse and finish kit.

So many decisions yet to be made. I still have no idea which engine other than a 180 Lyclone, maybe fuel injected, maybe not. Maybe LED landing light, maybe not... I did order the round install kit from Duckworks so I can make some progress.

How did you guys work through the mindfield of decisions? Deciding on what I want v.s need v.s. what I can afford.

Crap (in a good way)

What else do I need to start looking at or should buy sooner vs later

Thanks,

Joe

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Decisions were the toughest part of the build.....ok the canopy was tougher.

If you can afford it, order your engine and FWF stuff, the day you start on the QB fuse. waiting sux.

Next one I build will be simpler. O-360 with Catto prop
Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Like Brian said, order the items that have a long lead time earliest. Wait as long as possible to buy avionics. Vendors are always coming out with new products. Plus avionics are readily available. Also, don't base your avionic selection to what a vendor "promises in the future". Base it on what they have available now. I can't tell you how many times I've seen promises for delivery pushed back and back and back. Shop the classifieds also for little items such as covered seats, seatbelts and all those little items which add up. You can save yourself a great deal of money. And if you want, you can replace them all later on and sell off the old.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

also remember: every deviation from the plans for custom mods will add 20-40hrs of build time.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Brian is overly optimistic on alterations to build plans! Any engine besides a Lycoming will add a thousand or more hours. Smaller ones will add at least a 100 hours :bang:

Joew
Class G

Wow

Post by Joew »

Guys, Thanks for the responses!! Any other nuggets out there? All are good things to remember. I also look at other builders sites as I go along. Thanks guys

Joe

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Joe,

Coincidentally I just wrote this on another post! Build the plane you want. I want bells and whistles because I am a button pushing cowboy. On long flights I like to entertain myself with avionics goodies. I had an instructor that told me if you aren't doing something there is something you are not doing. On VFR flights I look closely at the engine monitor, change settings and play with the GPS/autopilot.

I want all toys because of that reason.

On the OTHER HAND, complexity is not what RV's are about!

Van says to build them simple and light! So true! They handle so well whrn they are light and they are intended to be a sporty little plane, not a stodgy IFR platform.

I think that we make these planes something of a different breed when we load them down with avionics and STUFF!

...not to mention how it complicates and EXTENDS the build time! We all want our planes flying and the toys slow the build process down DRAMATICALLY!!!

My two centavos...

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Joe,

CJ brings up an excellent point about building the plane you WANT. However, in the avionics range it is easy to blow a lot of money and be discouraged about how you can't afford what you want. I wanted a TruTrak autopilot and ADI, however I didn't have the funds for them. So I simply had some empty spots in my panel for upgrading in the future. During Phase I there is probably little chance you will need a lot of the wowzer panel items. So you might want to think about budgeting those things for later on.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Joe,

I just ordered my finish kit Jan. 28th, so I have been through all the agonizing decision-making very recently. If it helps, the guys at Vans told me that as far as the engine mount is concerned, 90% to 99% of all engines you are most likely to consider will use the Dynafocal-I mount. They also told me that if you get a Dyna-I mount and later need a different one, they use so many of them that you can easily exchange it. So put your mind at ease and just get the Dyna-I engine mount unless you're considering something really unusual for an engine.

I also had a hard time deciding on the cowl. While I really, really like the looks of the Sam James cowl, I'm not convinced you'll get any more speed out of it than the standard Vans cowl. (has anyone tried both, on the same plane, to see the difference?) So the only consideration for me, was the appearance. Since you only get partial credit for deleting the Vans cowl and in the end it would have cost me more, I went with the Vans cowl. It looks plenty fine, after all. I'm planning on vertical induction, again to save money. I can't believe how much extra it costs to take a vertical air intake and turn it sideways. So I'm not gonna do it. Plus, I'm not convinced there's any performance gain to horizontal induction, according to the guys I talk to, so again, it's only a matter of looks. Being the practical person that I am, I'd rather have a flying RV sooner, than a fancier-looking one later because for me, it will take so much longer to save up the money for the fancier looks. That's just me, though. Your opinions and financial issues may vary.

I'm thinking like Mike, that I will probably have a minimal panel at first, with room to expand to full IFR down the road if I choose to. I also plan on getting an engine that can run a constant-speed prop, but I'll probably have a simple fixed-pitch for a while. Maybe even a wood prop. Who knows. I built my wings and fuselage with the brackets installed for a Tru-Trak autopilot, but I didn't spend the money on the servos yet. When the time comes, I'll be able to just bolt them in and go because my plane is ready for them.

I plan on spending some of the money I saved on things that really make a difference in the final appearance. Like a really nice paint job, some really nice upholstery, and interior details in the cabin. Creature comforts. That sort of thing. Take a look at Brians "Aurora" and you'll see what I'm thinking. He has the most drool-worthy RV of any I've seen.

That's the great thing about these beautiful airplanes. Make it the way you want, so when you pull those hanger doors open, you'll see your dream sitting there ready to go.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Gosh, thanks Bruce. Now I won't be able to bring her anywhere, so you all keep thinking how great it turned out. Believe me, the are plenty of flaws.

I had a vision of what I wanted and pretty much stuck to it. Only came in a little over budget, but spent 3x what I had planned for paint.

Let everyone else says: Build what you want to see when you open the hangar.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Joew
Class G

Thanks

Post by Joew »

I appreciate all of the input, and believe it or not, it does really help. It shows I'm not crazy by driving myself nuts trying to figure this stuff out. You all have been there.

I'm doing LED Nav lights from Aero LED. Heated Pitot (will be IFR some day), a I or O 360 with a plug for a constant speed. I did cancel my Vans cowl, but still have not ordered the Sam James ( I do like how it looks). Not sure on the landing lights yet, I do want wig wags. I bought the install kit (no lights) from duckworks, so I can decide later if I want LED's or HID or halogen.

Where can I buy AP mounts from? Can I buy them without the servos?

Any advice on prosealing tanks? I'm using Ricks method Chad used. Still a bit nervous. At least its been cold here so I have plenty of working time.

Thanks agin,

Joe

Mike Balzer
Class E

Post by Mike Balzer »

Joe,
I am currently building my tanks on my 8 now. The fayed sealing method works great and is less messy. Bruce's Swayze web site gives a good description of how it was done on his right tank.

I used electrical tape and taped around the ribs to help keep mess down. It is a 2 person job. I did my stiffeners first and drain valve and fuel cap first.

Then I did the 3 inboard ribs and kept the outer ones clecoed up to help with alignment. I used 6/32 nuts on clecoes to help with the tension.

After 1 or 2 days depending on temperature I riveted it up. The sealant comes off the parts that you dont want it after it dries you can use your fingers and rub it off.

Trying to clean an area when it is wet just makes more of a mess. Also MEK works the best for cleaning.

Hope this helps,
Mike balzer
It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, then being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. N78MB

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

Joe,

Just remember to make one decision at a time. At some point you will decide to take off and fly it. I'm making decisions each day on this project and at some points it can be overwhelming. Prop dictates engine, engine dictates fuel pump, and so on. The nice thing about experimentals is that you can always change it down the road if you don't like your original decision. There is no decision that time and money can't solve.
My choice right now is to build a simple day/night VFR cruiser. I can always trick out the interior or panel or whatever later.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Way to go build a simple VFR airplane and you can always upgrade! Some people have been known to set their standards so high that it becomes a mountain they can't climb. When I was building my 6A, I was questioning whether to build an IFR or VFR airplane. I was not IFR rated at the time and I was over 65. Another builder said, "Bob, it will cost you at least $10,000.00 to equip yourself and the airplane to fly in weather you don't want to fly in!" Living and flying in MN and ND at least six months of the year you have to worry about flying in icing anytime if is IFR! Since I didn't have the $10,000 it made an easy decsion for me. If my kids or grand kids want IFR airplane, they will have build their own.